Search

Places to eat in BKK

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Places to eat in BKK

Hi- A question on lunch and one on dinner in Bangkok:
I'm trying to efficiently plan a first time one day visit to the city. If we're seeing the Grand Temple and Wats in the morning, are there plenty of places for lunch in that area? (don't need names specifically, just want to know the area better) Or will we need to make our way out of the Old City? I guess the klong tours can also leave from the old city so if we can do temples, lunch, klong all together that would be easiest.

Also, any recommendations for a traditional dinner that's not too lengthy? I think we'll be exhausted but would like to get a good Thai meal. We're staying on Ploenchit Road at the Holiday Inn
Thanks!
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 10:04 AM

not sure what you mean by the old city...maybe you think of the grand palace as the old city?? i don't think there are too many places to eat in that area, but china town is not all that far away....or take the boat back down to near the sheraton where there are many places to eat...

there are tons of places near HI to eat....especially on the other side of plenochit rd...depends on your price range and type of food you want...the hotels themselves have good food....also in gaysorn plaza nearby there are good restaurants....also the loft restaurant on 7th floor of the central chitlom dept store is a great place to eat....

tell us more of what type of food you want and we can make better suggestions....

in the four seasons hotel, not all that far, we love biscotti for italian food....expensive but fantastic---$60-80...spice market in the same hotel is a favorite with many for thai food...

personally i prefer a number of restaurnats down sukhumvit a ways...

bed supper club on soi 11 sukgumvit is a unique experience....res. mandatory however...

tell us what you want for food...
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

hi, yes by old city i meant the grand temple area. so if we take the boat back near the sheraton/hotels we can get lunch there. then can we also get a klong tour trip from that pier or nearby?

for dinner we're looking for standard thai. moderate price range but if it's cheap and good, that's fine too! i had read about the bed supper club but the only seating is at 8:30. i think we'd skip that because we'd like to go to the night market too and i think with our jet lag we won't make it very late!
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 10:16 AM

LM3682- repeat after me 10 times:

Grand Palace, Grand Palace, Grand Palace......
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

grand palace. yeah yeah yeah. i just finished my last final exam and the head is a little fuzzy still! but i couldn't wait to start figuring out our trip
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 04:39 PM
CFW

LM,

There's a nice place for lunch not far from the Grand Palace on the river -- S&p. Don't know the address but your hotel will be able to guide you. It's part of a chain of restaurants -- looks like a coffee shop, with great airconditioning and DELICIOUS Thai food. For dessert lots of good iced coffee choices & ice cream sodas, sundaes, etc. A great place for lunch in that area.
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 06:15 PM

Just be careful with ice.
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 06:48 PM

two place come to mind and both are good diner place and both not far from the sheraton/shangri-la/oriental hotel area....

three actually::

gallery cafe, previously mentioned near to the sheraton--2 minute walk

harmonique...on soi 34, new road about 1/2 way between the sh-la and sheraton....soi is just to the left of the general post office so is easy to find...

tongue thai---directly behind OP Place which is directly behind the oriental hotel...one short block in from new road

all are excellent...tongue thai is my favorite at the moment and harmonique is just behind it....harmonique is the cheapest (service is not great so allow for that)
Old Dec 18th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'll write these down and we'll see what makes sense when we're there. Thank you!!