Phuket which town?

Search

Phuket which town?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phuket which town?

My husband and I are going to Phuket in Jan. 2011. Trying to figure out which town to stay We would like to be able to : ability to walk to the beach and restaurants near by, not really into shopping or staying out late and going to bars and night clubs, love the outdoors, sunsets. We are open to all ideas and suggestions. If you have a name of a hotel in the area that would even be better. Prefer ocean view if possible.
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 08:56 AM

I prefer Kata Beach area. Patong as waaaaay too touristy. Kata is touristy enough, but not over the top.
Kata Noi is a bit quieter than Kata, and you would probably need to take a taxi 'up' the hill to Kata (or walk if you've got the energy to do it). Kata provides plenty of shopping and dining venues.

Mom Tri's Boathouse on Kata is in a nice location.

Kata Thani on Kata Noi is really lovely.
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your advice. I thought maybe Patong was really touristy. Will check into the hotels.
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 05:37 PM

Patong is very touristy. Where you stay depends on your budget. For less than $200, you can stay on a private beach. The scenery will be great and at night you can take a taxi into one of the towns to dine. For less than $100, you can stay at kata or Karon beaches. These are smaller than Patong and much more pleasant. Again, the key thing will be your budget. Phuket has places to fit any wallet.
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 06:17 PM

Gpanda, what private beaches do you recommend? I want to stay somewhere quiet in November. Nai Harn beach looks great from what I've seen online.
Old Jul 4th, 2010, 03:22 AM

Take a look at the Meridien Beach Resort. We've stayed there twice and loved it both times. Private beach, yet only a 20 minute taxi ride from either Karon Beach or Patong Beach. The pool is super. If you go there, you get cheap taxis and cheap laundry by walking off the property towards the main road and it's easily accessible.

We've also stayed at the Yacht Club at Hai Harn. Very nice, but much more isoltaed than the MBR.
Old Jul 4th, 2010, 05:30 AM

the MBR is very nice...even though it is a huge hotel, it never seems a busy place, except at breakfast.... the beach there is very nice... we had a high room facing the ocean and sitting on the balcony was quiet and very enjoyable...

i found the taxi rate to be a std flat fee, no matter where you got the taxi...
Old Jul 4th, 2010, 05:58 AM

Mom Tri's Villa Royale property is very private. The beach is down a set of wooden stairs (down to Kata Noi beach). If quiet is your most important need, take a look. I've stayed here, in two of the 'villas' but have never stayed in the hotel rooms that were added on in about 2003/2004. But I've seen them, and they are really nice (I still prefer the villas).
Old Jul 4th, 2010, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

We have marriot points and can stay at the JW Marriott. Has anyone stayed there? If so, what did you think? To far out, no beach, not friendly? I would like to spend no more than 100 per night if possible.
Old Jul 4th, 2010, 02:11 PM

The JW is a bit out of the way, but with a car it is very do ble. The beach there is too rough for most swimmers and the red flags are up most days.. Pool complexes are lovely. We loved it, but again we had a car for dinner outings. The food in the hotel had some very good choices, but yor are paying their higher prices.

There are several Marriott courtyards in the area now. Most of them are NOT on the beach, but I think 2 of them are with in walking distance. Check out the Marriott site...Bob says just put in Thailand , and then you can see where they are located. The courtyards should be within your budget.
Old Jul 4th, 2010, 05:29 PM

I've stayed at the Courtyard in Surin Beach and will be back there again in November. I like it a lot and it's got a nice pool. About 300 yards to the beach. Taxi stand, laundry, scooter rentals, and tour brokers all right outside the hotel. There was not any nearby internet cafe. No free shuttle to Patong like some of the other properties. Plenty of food stands & small restaurants right on the sand.

I've stayed at the JW Marriott also. I know I'm in the minority, but I really disliked it. Way too isolated and very expensive.
Old Jul 4th, 2010, 05:36 PM

The JW is far from everything. You're trapped there. It necessitates a car. At $100 per night, you can definitely find a place in Karon Beach or Kata Beach. We stayed at the Old Phuket Hotel in Karon Beach. It was a solid 3 star. A 1/4 mile walk to the beach. Lot's of restaurants on the road.

The Meridien is a solid 4 star and about $150-175 per night. The extra money gets you a private beach and more amenities. Take a look at Sawadee.com for prices.
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions. After looking at the JW I agree it's to far out. Has anyone stayed at the Boomarang Hotel? It has really great reviews on Trip Advisor. I realize it's not near the beach and I don't think its walking distance either.But may need to give that up.