Agoda Booking - Avoid Them!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having just spent 3 weeks in beautiful Thailand, I did all my bookings through Agoda.
I was planning to return via Hong Kong but after making a hotel booking with Agoda, had to cancel it 3 days later. The cancellation response indicated that I would receive my refund less US$15 FEE, within 10 days.

When I returned home and still no refund, I got on the Agoda Live Chat and they inform me that the amount, which I paid in full, (A$850.00) is not refundable!

Their booking conditions are very confusing. They state that the reservation amount is non-refundable which one would presume to be a 10-25% deposit. They don't tell you that the reservation fee is the total amount! The customer doesn't have any choice as to whether they pay a deposit or in full!
The Booking Conditions are not clearly stated and keep referring to a Reservation Amount, not the total amount! I was ready to pay US$15 or a portion of the fee that Agoda would have received, but to keep the whole amount is a bit rich! This booking was cancelled 3 days after it was made and within 6 weeks of arrival!

I will never be booking through Agoda again and warn anyone that, although they might offer good prices, by the time they add their services and tax,the prices aren't that low, and then you have the risk of no refund if you have to cancel, I don't think they are very creditable.
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 02:56 AM

I've been using Agoda for many years, and have probably made 100 bookings with them. I've had a few issues with them, but have always been able to clear them up without any hard feelings. Their booking conditions may seem confusing, but what you need to keep in mind is that their conditions are governed by the hotels, so they can vary from one hotel chain to another. For example, when booking a Marriott recently, I got a full refund for canceling more than three days in advance, but with Tune Hotels, which I decided to try for a one night layover in Bali, the booking is not refundable once it's confirmed, period.

I've found Agoda to always be very clear about the booking conditions for your hotel when you make the booking, and it's also stated on the voucher you receive from them, so it's not their fault if you didn't read the conditions when you made the booking, and just assumed the terms were the same as your other bookings.

It is true that their "headline" rates do not include taxes, so the net amount is more than it may seem, but I still find their rates to generally be the lowest, and they don't charge a booking fee, which some other sites do. The advance payment can be a drawback, carrying with it some risk, as you found out the hard way, but it's probably what enables Agoda to offer the rates it does.
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 03:34 AM

I´ve been booking hotels through Agoda for the last three years and I´ve never, ever, had any problem with them. Besides, they do offer the best rates and they do not charge any booking fee.
MichaelBKK is right, the conditions are governed by hotels, and even though you book through Agoda or any other site, you should always check out the hotel´s policy and "conditions applay" first.
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 05:25 AM

I used Agoda in March of this year to book a hotel in Jimbaran, Bali for April. Their rate was much lower than other sites and as mentioned above, they charged no booking fee. My experience was good and I would use them again.

As with anything you purchase, buyer beware. Be sure you understand the terms and conditions. If you have any questions, simply ask. Most reputable places are happy to answer your questions. With so much information available on the internet and how quickly unfavorable information is spread, those companies with a less than stellar reputation would not last long. This dialoge is one to read when considering using Agoda. Think of yourself as better informed to make an informed decision. Research, research, research!
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 05:35 AM

i find that when you book with a discounter that you should always expect issues if you have to make any changes... why do you think you can book at such a steep discount???

i have always been very pleased with agoda since michaelbkk introduced it to me several years ago...
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 09:15 AM

No matter who you book with, you have to read all the fine print. I've used agoda several times. Some of the rates clearly state non-refundable, full advance payment required. For instance, they often have these deals at the Novotel at the airport in Bangkok. If you check the hotel's website, the hotel offers the same, pay in full in advance no refund policy, but their price is higher. In fact, had you checked the website for the hotel you booked, you probably would have found the same pay in advance no refund deal but at a higher price.

My rule is not to book those non-refundable rates until my plans are fully firm. Yes, sometimes things happen that make it impossible to follow through on your vacation plans, but if you've booked the non-refundable rate from anywhere - a discount website or the hotel the result is the same - you lose that money. You can always opt to pay a higher refundable rate.