Peitou Hot Springs and Taipei

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be spending two weeks in Taipei on business and would like to visit some hot springs during my days off (I've been in Japan and love it). Has anyone been to the hot springs in Peitou outside Taiwan? If I go for a day, do I need to make an advance reservation to visit a communal spring and could you recommend one? Do most of the hot springs offer massage as well and do you need a reservation?

Also, any other suggestions for things to do while in Taipei for two weeks on business would be much appreciated. Is it safe to go to the night markets alone (I'm a young female). Thanks!
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 02:05 PM

I go to Taipei at least twice a year...

That said, I've never been to the hot springs, but you should be careful as peeping toms (read: perverts with cell phone cameras) are more prevalent around the Peitou hot springs than pretty much anywhere in Japan. Not saying that you shouldn't go for it, just be careful and do some research on the better hot springs.

I don't know about massage, but my gut feeling is yes. And reservations anywhere in Taiwan are generally a good idea, though whenever I'm back in Taiwan, my relatives ask me if I want to go to the hot springs spur of the moment. Sorry can't be much more help, but my generally feeling is that the hot springs in Taiwan can't really compare to those in Japan.

There are day spas, however, and they're within the city and might be another alternative.

For other activities, there is the National Palace Museum, which holds the greatest collection of Chinese art and other valuables. It's really quite interesting, and provides a English tour either for free or nominal fee. You can spend at least half a day doing this.

There's also Taipei 101 and the Xinyi District. Taipei 101 is the tallest building in the world (for now), and sports the fastest elevator too. You can take a audio tour at top to see the entire Taipei valley. The Xinyi district is the area around Taipei 101 and is generally the trendiest part of Taipei right now. Big department stores, large movie theater, very good night clubs, if you're into that. You can spend the whole day in the 101/Xinyi area, if you so choose.

I think the night markets are really a unique aspect of Taiwan, and something that most foreigners don't really get to experience on their own. Mainly because, while the commercial shopping areas are more or less bilingual, the night markets are far more local and English isn't not widely spoken. KNow that they are VERY crowded, espcially on the weekend nights. However, if you are by yourself, you should be careful - be mindful of your wallet, handbag, purse, etc at all times (this is generally true in Taiwan day or night). As long as you stay with the cwowds, you shouldn't encounter any situation that would result in bodily harm, but thieves are known to target Westerners. Be careful. If possible, I strongly suggest you find a native Taiwanese (a client, business associate, colleague, etc) take you to the night market. This way, you won't get lost, and you're more likely to get a better sample of foods.

Hopefully this will get you started. There are other trips you can make - Snake Alley, Yang Ming Mountain, a variety of temples. Thankfully it won't be hot this time of year...but you will find it cold, especially at night, a "wet" cold that permeates even heavy jackets due to the constant humidity.

Feel free to ask more questions.

Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 07:32 PM

There are two places in Beitou, Spring Valley and 32. 32 is a very upmarket boutique hotel, but I believe you can use the hot springs for an afternoon. Spring Valley is popular.

There are many places on Xinyi Road on the way up to Yang Ming Shan Mountain, and, in Yang Ming Shan is a nice hotel called Tien Lai. Again, you can go there for a day.

Taipei is a very safe city.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 02:31 AM

Have lived here for 14 years and in all that time have had one umbrella stolen. Quite safe place, really! However - the traffic is another thing, altogether. You need to have eyes in the back of your head, even on the sidewalk. People will whizz past you on scooters, motorbikes and miss you by a couple of cm. People won't honk or say excuse me. It's like if they didn't actually hit, then it's ok.
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 01:54 PM

Definitely National Palace Museum--I spent nearly an entirely day. The place gets crowded with tour groups (esp jade sculptures), so start early in the morning.

I haven't had a chance to try hot springs, but had massages at a spa close to my hotel (Westin). It was a mixed experience for me, I loved foot massage (esp after a long day) though it was a bit painful Chinese-style than soft western reflexology approach.

Just to let you know that the local traffic was quite heavy, and it took us nearly 2 hours to get to/from the airport.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 07:18 PM

When are you going? I've lots of info if you haven't been yet--had a wonderful time in Taipei...