Osaka to Kyoto

May 22nd, 2007, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Osaka to Kyoto

We are flying from the U.K to Osaka in November. We where looking at a private transfer from the airport (KIX) to Kyoto but we have been quoted £280 one way!!!! We just thought that the train with jetlag might not be the best idea. After the quote for the transfer we have had a re think. How easy is it to get the train with luggage? How long will it take? and how much will it cost?
Thanks in advance for any help.
May 22nd, 2007, 11:52 AM

look at this ongoing discussion:

http://www.fodors.com/forums_reg/thr...ect.jsp?fid=27

Japanese trains are very pleasant, and easy to use. If you can carry your luggage, there will be room for it on the train. It is about an hour and a half of train time to Kyoto.
May 22nd, 2007, 12:06 PM

The train, one way to Osaka, would cost about 3000 yen or 12 GBP.

I haven't used that train yet but would expect that the train is easy to use as it is the airport line. Hundreds of air pax use it every day so it should be accomodating.

Your other option would be to use an airport limo bus to go to the hotel. This would be easier than the train and probably about the same cost.
May 22nd, 2007, 12:07 PM

If the bus doesn't go to your hotel you can still take one and then get a taxi.

Are you going on a cruise?
May 22nd, 2007, 12:12 PM

If you have luggage you can catch the bus to Kyoto station then taxi to your hotel. I've done this before.

They load and unload your bags onto and off of the bus for you so baggage handling is not a problem.

You can check the KIX website under access information for bus timetables.

http://www.kansai-airport.or.jp/en/a...bus/index.html

Aloha!
Jun 26th, 2007, 06:44 AM

Hi, I was on a tour in Kyoto 2 years ago and there was a limo service that picked me up at the Osaka airport and delivered me to my ryokan in Kyoto. I remember having seen the price at the time and it was nowhere near that amount. I will try to see if I still have the name of the company. The guy pulled my suitcase along for me, too. It was very nice being met at the airport and not having to figure out transportation. I don't sleep much on airplanes and sleep deprivation makes me pretty woozy. The negatives were: I had to wait almost an hour in one spot while he collected the other passengers from their planes; the limo was like a mini-bus and somewhat cramped; I was one of the last passengers getting dropped off so it made the trip a bit longer; it's a rather long trip - took over 2 hours, I believe. I will be back with the name of the company if I can find it. By the way, I LOVED Kyoto. Spent almost 2 weeks there and would love to go back.
Aug 8th, 2007, 09:38 AM

I am going to Osaka in November, too. I have done some research on how to go in between Osaka, Kyoto, and Nara.

From KIX to Koyto, you need to take JR train to Osaka (Umeda station) or Shin-Osaka and change JR Kyoto line to Kyoto. It costs Y1160 from KIX to Osaka and Y600 to Kyoto. Roughly, about $15 or less than 10 GBP. It takes about 70 minutes from KIX to Osaka and about 30 minutes from Osaka to Kyoto.
Aug 8th, 2007, 09:40 AM

Use this link to check the schedule and fare.

http://grace.hyperdia.com/cgi-english/hyperWeb.cgi
Aug 8th, 2007, 10:15 AM

KennyOB: there's no need to change trains in Osaka. The Haruka Kansai Express goes directly between KIX and Kyoto. Two trains an hour in each direction most of the time; the journey takes about 70 minutes and costs about Y3,000. A reserved seat adds about Y500 but is unnecessary in my experience.
Aug 8th, 2007, 12:01 PM

robson:

we had very good luck with a private limo/taxo (MK is the company) from Itami airport (domestic) to our ryokan in Kyoto. Excellent service at 3,000 Yen per person ($25), A bit more from KIX.

[email protected]

Stu T.
(many Kyoto hotels can arrange this service..ours was The Three Sisters Inn Annex)

Aug 19th, 2007, 10:01 AM

We will be landing at KIX and traveling to Kyoto in October.

This is what I've found and anyone please, please jump in.

As someotherguy indicated, the Haruka goes directly from KIX to Kyoto.

I did a search on Hyperdia and I do not know why the Haruka does not show there. The schedules listed all have transfers.

It seems that the bus runs every 60 minutes as opposed to the train running every 30 minutes so if you miss the bus, you wait an hour.
Aug 19th, 2007, 10:26 AM

Try using Kansai Airport as your starting point.....they run twice an hour...

Hope this helps.
Aug 19th, 2007, 10:28 AM

Abigail,

You don't mention what time you arrive in KIX so I can't be more specific but look here for answers to most of your questions. Set the buttons for to/From Kyoto. The Haruka to Kyoto runs every 30 minutes.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2033.html

Aloha!
Sep 1st, 2007, 02:39 PM

Mahalo, hawaiiantraveler.