Search

Japan Itinerary Critique

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 12:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Japan Itinerary Critique

Hello,

Just spent the last couple of days doing the initial planning of my trip to Japan. I plan on going there in December and then flying to Hong Kong for a week and then back to the U.S.

Please feel free to make any recommendations for places to stay, eat, shop, and sightsee. Especially, has anyone been to Japan in December? What should I expect in terms of weather, what kind of places will be closed during Christmas, etc. My boyfriend likes gardens, ponds, and the nature stuff but we would also like to see the Tokyo city life. Also window shopping for electronics!

Dec 21 arrive in Tokyo FRI afternoon... spend night there

Dec 22 SAT spend whole day in Tokyo... (so far on itinerary: sumo wrestling museum, Tokyo fish market?)

Dec 23 SUN spend whole day in Tokyo...

Dec 24 MON leave for Hakone (spend night in a ryokan, not sure which one yet.

Dec 25 TUES day trip to/or see around Mt. Fuji (spend night in Hakone ryokan).

Dec 26 WED Leave for Kyoto in the morning

Dec 27 THURS Spend time in Kyoto

Dec 28 FRI Spend time in Kyoto (Would a day trip to Kanazawa/Shirakawago/Takayama be worth it or just stay in Kyoto? I've heard so many good things about those 3 places just want to see if its worth it to squeeze in)

Dec 29 SAT Leave Kyoto for Osaka

Dec 30 SUN Fly to Hong Kong from KIX

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:56 AM
emd

I would not plan on staying in Hakone area on the 2nd day to "see Mt. Fuji." There is a good chance it won't be visible, esp. that that time of year when it gets shrouded in fog/mist. If it is visible, you'll get a good view of it on the train, unless you really have a burning desire to be close to it. IMO, one night in the Hakone rypkan is enough. I'd use the extra day.night in Kyoto, as tht way you can add in a day trip from Kyoto if you like.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 08:26 AM
kja

Hi, travlr67 -

I wouldn't want to try to see Kanazawa, Shirakawago, OR Takayama on a day trip from Kyoto - it would take too long to get there and back. To see the 3 of them would really take about 3 days, minimum IMHO. And there is SO much to see in Kyoto that I think it would really make sense for you to stay there that day.

Hope that helps!
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks!!

Has anyone been to Japan in Dec. how is the visibility for Mt. Fuji? I heard it's better in the winter time.. but like EMD said, I don't want to go to Hakone and not see anything. But then again if I got to Japan we must have at least a glimpse of Mt. Fuji.

Any alternatives to Hakone that's also worthwhile and on the way to Kyoto?
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 08:42 PM

We went to Japan in December last year and did not get to see Mt. Fuji even once We did, however, have a great time. From what I remember, the weather was nice. I was comfortable in a sweater or a fall jacket during the days. At nights, it got a bit chillier. We were able to experience some of the Fall colors (it was a late fall) and enjoy Christmas lights in Tokyo as well. It was nice and hopefully you will be able to do the same.

We went to Hakone and stayed a night. But not really to see Mount Fuji. We just wanted to stay at a ryokan, relax at an onsen. I guess you could do this anywhere and it doesn't have to be Hakone. But this just seemed like a pretty little spot to visit. If you are going to Hakone with the sole purpose of seeing Mt. Fuji, then you prolly don't want to make the trip out here just for that. It is a cute little town however and fun to visit.

Hope that helps! Enjoy your trip!
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 11:13 PM

I was went to Tokyo December 2006. It was freezing and raining occasionally. Wear a thick jacket. Tokyo is very cool that their subway has multi-levels that contain shops and restaurants. If it rains or is too cold, can always go underground.

If possible, spend Xmas in HK because many things go on in HK during the time. You can pick up many inexpensive clothes.
Old Sep 1st, 2007, 02:19 PM

We were in Japan in November last year and had great views of Mt. Fuji from Hakone. However, our guide said even though this was the best time of the year it was still unreliable. I wouldn't spend the extra day in Hakone, but would take a day trip to Nikki from Tokyo.

We did go to Takayama on another trip to Japan in APril 06. It was a nice little town, but out of the way and took a long time to get their. With so few days in Kyoto I would pass on Takayama. If you want to do day trips from Kyoto I would recommend Nara and Hiroshima/Miyajima. Both were great.