Search

One More Neurotic Q: Pros and Cons of SR, LP or Anantara

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2006, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One More Neurotic Q: Pros and Cons of SR, LP or Anantara

Hi Everyone,

I hope this will be my last indecisive post about our December trip. We are a family w/ 2 teen boys looking for a cultural yet relaxing non-urban SE Asia destination for 3-5 days during Xmas week to sandwich in between four days each in BKK and Tokyo. We currently have reservations for that period at three places:

- the Victoria Angkor (4 nights)
- N. Thailand Combo: Yaang Come Village (CM) and the Anantara
- Satri house in Luang Prabang (3 nights)

We wish we could go to all three, but must choose one.

Our concerns:
- Angkor, though we love spiritual sites, will be too overrun with tourists and not relaxing. Also we will miss the misty Mekong/elephant/hilltribe experience
- CM might be too urban/The Anantara might be too honeymoonish and too cold
- Our hotel in LP has received negative reports on tripadvisor and all others are booked.

Would greatly appreciate hearing from travelers who have been to all three destinations w/ teens. We're also open to other suggestions. My husband and I have been to Asia many time, but this is our first trip to Thailand and the boys' first time.

Old Nov 7th, 2006, 01:47 PM

Chiang Mai is a city but we didn't find it to be anything even close to being the city that Bangkok is. Easy to get around, we didn't encounter traffic jams at all. YCV was peaceful with many families when we were there last Christmas.

I would write to the Anantara and ask them about the guests who they expect to be there over Christmas. You might have better luck in getting an answer to your question if you write to John Roberts rather than the reservations staff, as I found the reservations staff only answered date and rate questions and ignored all other inquiries. John Roberts, on the other hand, was really friendly and forthcoming with information. I'm sure he could answer you honestly about how he thought teenaged boys would like it there. Anantara would be the least urban of all the places you list I think, and there is much to do in the area.

Angkor might be a very nice destination as well. I really don't think the crowds would be so much worse at Christmas than at other times. There are so many temple complexes to visit that you could probably avoid crowds entirely with a competent guide. I just got Dawn Rooney's new book and just started to read it last night...there is so much more than Angkor Wat, and many people will be on a package tour that only visits the very major temples or even on their own only visit the major temples. I know our 9 year old is very enthusiastic about visiting Angkor Wat next summer.

Luang Prabang...we really want to go there very much. Time limitations have us putting it off yet again, but if 5 days suddenly appeared added to our holiday time, and if there were a summer flight between Siem Reap and Luang Prabang (and there might be, we'll see) then we might well go there...always open to change.
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 06:40 PM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
Very hard decision. I was in Angkor, CM, and LP with my daughter (not a teen - 24).
We both loved all three. I can't give a single recommendation - but here are some of the things we loved about each...
- Angkor - yes, touristy, but the ruins are truly spectacular. We did a school visit (donated supplies), which helped make the destination a highlight. Also enjoyed the day trip (boat ride) to Tonle Sap floating village.

- CM - loved the Elephant Conservation Center (and sure your teens would, too). Enjoyed the night market (boys probably wouldn't be as thrilled with that - but my daughter was in heaven). Had a great day hiking in the national park to a hilltribe village - lots of fun - boys would surely enjoy. Doi Suthep is gorgeous. The boys might not be thrilled, but would probably think it was cool for a little while.

LP - Loved the atmosphere (probably less exciting for teen boys). Trip to waterfall lots of fun - they could swim there. Boat trip up the Mekong to caves was fascinating. Morning monk parade to collect alms was unlike anything I've ever seen (but daughter skipped it to sleep in!). Great place for renting bicycles and riding around town and to outskirts.

Whichever you choose, I feel certain you'll have a good time.
Karen
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 09:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. We have to decide by tomorrow night or we lose our reserved flights. As of this afternoon we were leaning toward CM and the Anantara, but it was so cold here tonight (in the L.A. area) that we're now thinking of Siem Reap...Will let everyone know.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 01:20 AM

I took my kids, the oldest two boys were 11 and 14, to CM. They loved it, especially the elephant conservation center. The Sunday Market shopping went over well with them both and the 11 year old enjoyed the foot massages along with the rest of us while the 14 year old wandered a bit. We went during Songkran which contributed to their love of CM. If you don't go to CM this time consider it at spring break. My 14 year old grins widely when CM is mentioned. He thoroughly enjoyed splashing--and being splashed--by cute girls.

We haven't done the other locations yet but will do SR this post Christmas/New Year's.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 07:52 AM

Crosscheck,
Just on the off chance that you have decided against Siem Reap, did you have SRP-BKK air reservations on Dec 30 or 31?

I'm trying to get seats on the sold out flights then, and if I know what time yours will expire, I can try to grab yours as they re-appear!

Long shot, but I hope you don't mind me asking.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

sorry, our return reservations are on the 28th. and as of this moment we are leaning toward angkor. but i would suggest going on the bkk air website early saturday morning. there was a brief period last saturday when dozens of flights became available.