November on Koh Sumui

Jul 21st, 2005, 11:38 PM
Original Poster

November on Koh Sumui

We signed up for an Oat tour to Thailand the second and third week of November. Didn't read the November weather forecast until I started reading this forum. After the tour, we're considering going to Koh Sumui to relax and enjoy the beach for several days. Just read where it could be very wet and windy in November. We would be there around Nov 21. Has anyone been there in Nov?

Also, we were thinking of staying in two different places in Koh Samui. We're late 60's and like quiet, clean rooms and nice beaches and pools, and close to restaurants, medium prices. Maybe small resorts. The Peace Resort looked good.

We're flying out really, really early in the morning from Bangkok. Where to stay that last night?

I sure would appreciate your advice on the above.

Jul 22nd, 2005, 01:07 AM

Hi Granny:

November is not the best time to vist southern Thailand as you now know. But having said that, I've visited in Novemeber a couple of times and had glorious weather, with just the occasional short downpour, like God turning on a big tap, then turning it off again. And an occasional wind rattling blow during the night.

If it's relaxation you want, consider the Fisherman's Village of Bophut and the north coast of the isalnd. It's a charming village with a single main street lined with great restauarants and bars with a nice beach. It's also devoid of girly bars and Karaoki places and more suitable for families and mature visitors than the more popular resorts of Chaweng and Lamai.

Peace resort is ok, in fact a nice place, but it's a bit of a walk along the beach to the village. I think you would be better in the village itself, so check out reviews for the Lodge, Smile house and Baan Bophut, which is my new favourite. Ask for a groundfloor room, with direct access to the beach at the Lodge and Baan Bophut. Also ask for a discount for not booking through an agency. Or save yourself a bit of hassle and book through www.sawadee.com which I've found to be very efficient when I've used them.
Jul 22nd, 2005, 01:25 AM

Sorry: forgot to add. the Amari Hotel is connected to the airport but at +$200, even in November, you're probaly better using Quality Suites Bangkok Airport for around $70, which is about a mile from the international terminal and where I've stayed once a few years ago, or Asia hotel or Comforts suites, also close by, where I've not. All will have shuttle buses to the airport.
Jul 22nd, 2005, 07:48 AM

we are in our 60's and stayed at the peace...it is perfect...the walk to town is about 15 minutes and quite pleasant....along the beach you only have to walk in the sand for about 1/3 of the way and then you can go up on the pavement....we walked into town along the main road as well...

the places in bophut seemed just a little too conjested for us...while the town is small there is traffic and noice...peace was just that---perfect..

peace has a very nice restaurant....very reasonable and GOOD...the beach is nice and the pool is fantastic....cheap massages by the pool also---200-300 B....

as far as staying elsewhere i am not sure what that would accomplish for you??? we rented a jeep for 2 days and covered the whole island easily...we found we liked bophut the best...much of the rest of the island is quite issolated..

rains in thailand often mean downpours for 30 minutes or less and then it clears out....not bad....
i actually prefer cloudy days in thailand as the sun is so hot that it provides some relief...
Jul 22nd, 2005, 07:55 AM

my departures from bkk are always at 6AM...we have stayed quite a few times by the airport but have decided not to do it again...don't figure that you save that much time especially at 4 AM....

we stayed twice at the comfort and would not do it again...it is ok but not that comfortable...you are stuck right there as well with poor food options...

miracle grand is another option near the airport as is rama gardens....recently some people have stayed at sofitel central which is about 1/3 of the way to bkk from the airport...

we personally found the turn around traffic problems associated with rama gardens to be a problem making staying in town much better...

so the long and short of it is that we prefer the comfort of bkk hotels to the airport hotels.... places along sukhumvit, like the jw marriott, westin, sheraton grande, intercontinental, landmark, and the new holiday inn on plenochit, majestic grande all provide excellent access to the toll road and speed you on your way to the airport....and at 4 AM or so there is no traffic so you should make it there in 30 minutes of less..
Jul 22nd, 2005, 08:46 AM

Why not consider one of the other beach areas, as the weather will likely be bad on Koh Samui? Phuket will be better or Hua Hin. Both have a wide variety of lovely properties.

For a very short stay in Bangkok prior to an early morning flight, I've used the Rama Gardens. Opt for the more expensive rooms (about US$70) which are very large, with huge bathrooms. The Amarai is not only expensive, but the rooms are rather dirty and worn.
Jul 22nd, 2005, 11:18 AM

our problem with rama was driving related mostly....its not always that easy to get in and out and taxis are not always available...the door man tried to force a limo on us which we did not want or need....
also the registration was all messed up even though i had made my res directly with the hotel and had confirmed....they kept us waiting 30 minutes at 7PM and sent us from building to building....having said this our room was huge and quite nice....restaurant offerings were also limited at that time...the italian rest. had closed...probably something has opened in its place...we ate chinese and were the only people there---quite expensive....
Jul 22nd, 2005, 12:48 PM

Bob, at the Rama Gardens our airport transport was included in out rooms price. They were prompt and quick. We had very good Thai food in the restuatant. I can imagine that given their location the audience for their restuaraunts is captive... not suprised there would be some turnover.
Jul 22nd, 2005, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Johnbey for the suggestion of Smile House, it looks pretty good. Thanks Rhkkmk, may I call you Bob? If we land on Koh Samui, it's between Peace Resort and Smile House. We're in good shape, at least my husband is, so a short walk to town is okay. Thanks Kathie for your suggestion of Hua Hin. My husband also mentioned to check out Ko phiphi. They both look great. It's high season prices on the last two, probably for good reason--better weather. Any favorite beaches or resorts on Ko phiphi or Hua Hin. They only list prices up to the end of Oct. Right now my heart is set on Koh Samui, but I'll need to spend more time researching.

How far in advance do you book a room?

Jul 22nd, 2005, 06:55 PM

the further you book the better...not to worry as of yet however, but don't wait too long....of course call me bob..

hua hin is a decent place but we did not find the things to do there that are available in samui...plus the island is fun....stick to your guns...for hotels you could look at: marriott, sofitel, hyatt, anantara as the main ones....the hilton turned us off honestly...you do save money on the flight but it costs about $65 for a private car to HH so what have you saved...there are of course cheaper ways to get there too: bus and train and sharred van...

phi phi was very heavily damaged in the tsunami...check things out carefully before booking...

good booking site: www.huahin.20m.com

good for most thai locations...i did all my hotel bookings for this past trip with them and everything was perfect...
Jul 24th, 2005, 06:24 AM

Hi Granny

I am going on the same trip in Nov. Maybe we're on the same date. Would like to communicate. If you do-- contact me at [email protected]
Jul 24th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Hi Barnrt,
W're going Nov 6th. GCT/OAT has added quite a few trips to Thailand Nov and Dec. Hope you're on ours. I'll try your email later tonight.

Have to run,
Granny

Search this Thread