Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for tailors and hotel near airport

Old Aug 8th, 2014, 11:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! So we are here in Bangkok - loving the updated Anantara Riverside.

Looking for up to date recommendations for a tailor - men's business suits. Women's dresses - was going to go to the one Bob recommended a few years back behind Oriental. Hoping she is still there?

Also - looking for a airport hotel recommendation - only going to be there from 10pm to 4am so don't want to pay Novotel prices!

Thx BB (promise to do a report as we go or when back, a little sad that Gpanda won't be threatening me with fines this time )
Old Aug 9th, 2014, 12:05 AM

<<<Also - looking for a airport hotel recommendation - only going to be there from 10pm to 4am so don't want to pay Novotel prices!>>>

I DON'T recommend BS Residence. Nice enough place 5 minutes from the airport, but too close to two late night Thai Beer Gardens. The head banging music kicks off at 2200, and doesn't stop until about 0300.
Old Aug 9th, 2014, 01:58 AM

If you stay in town, let say by the Asok road area, it will only take you around 15 - 20 minutes by taxi to the airport at that time of the day. Or if you stay by the Wireless road area it should take around 30 minutes to the airport at most. More choices and probably a lot more comfortable than the other hotels around the airport.
Old Aug 9th, 2014, 03:32 AM

Good idea avoiding Novotel prices! The price is too high for what you get IMO. Are you flying into BKK from somewhere else in Thailand at 10pm? If so, then it's not worth going into the city if all you want to do is sleep. Sorry I can't recommend a place near BKK. My only experience is with Novotel. Hope your Thailand trip is all you had hoped for!
Old Aug 9th, 2014, 04:56 AM

BB...I recently read a review about the Regent Suvarnabhum airport hotel. ( No relation to the expensive Regent hotel.) It sounded good. There are several reviews on TA about it. I think less than 10 min from the airport, and they have shuttle service. We have not been there. Try it out and let all of us here know what you find. Rates are less .

Also let me know if cotton house is still there. I use. JSThai Silk. Second floor of Rivercity. Just off the escalator. Ask for Penny.
Old Aug 9th, 2014, 06:42 AM

I'd stay in town..

many like victor and Jessie, the tailors whose shop is just 2 or 3 doors to the right of the landmark hotel on sukhumvit..

how is the building coming in front of anantara? we continue to love it there.. we arrive oct 1...

craig and jeane like a dress maker on the 2nd floor of OP Place... have a look around..

check out our silk maker---js thai silk, 2nd floor river city
Old Aug 11th, 2014, 12:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all - still got to book somewhere so will check these places out. Bob - the building work is ongoing - quite high now but still v unfinished / site looking (internal structures still visible, no cladding yet)
Old Aug 11th, 2014, 12:56 AM
Original Poster

Carol - flying in from Chiang Mai and then out to Samui (straight onto Ko Tao)