Nikko and Himeji Castle - day trips?

Apr 14th, 2004, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Nikko and Himeji Castle - day trips?

Has anyone taken a day trip to Nikko and Himeji castle from Tokyo? Is it doable? That's what I would like to do since I am in Tokyo for 4 days. Also, any suggestions for other day trips from Tokyo?
Apr 14th, 2004, 01:27 PM

Nikko is doable as a day trip from Tokyo, but Himeji is not. It's too far.
Apr 14th, 2004, 01:27 PM

Sorry, I should add that if you're looking for another day trip from Tokyo, I would suggest Kamakura or Hakone.
Apr 14th, 2004, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

many thanks for your help
Apr 18th, 2004, 10:59 PM

Hi asykes1,
I just got back from a short trip to Tokyo which included a Sunrise Tours visit to Nikko and it was very doable with them at the wheel.
We also went to Hakone and Mt. Fuji on another tour and that was also very worth while.
Tokyo is huge and you can spend much time checking it out Akasaka, Shinjuko and Ginza kept us busy for a couple of days.For me, a city tour is always a good idea when you visit a new place, gives you a headstart on understanding the "lay of the land"
The people in Tokyo are the nicest and are eager to help if you need it navigating the subways and trains. We enjoyed what we could see very much! Have a nice time.

fredex
Apr 19th, 2004, 04:46 AM

@ Fredex2000

How was your trip? Where did the Sunrise Tours take you exactly? I'm thinking of doing a tour, but not in Tokyo. I'm leaving that exploration to myself being that I'll spend most of my time their. At any rate, I was just wondering whether your tour was worth and if you had any input as to what else you could have gotten out of them.
Apr 19th, 2004, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

fredex - thanks for your thoughts. did you really feel hakone was worth the visit? what did you do there? it seems like the landscape is nice, but that there's not much cultural exploring. i am currently booked for one night in a ryokan there but am not sure it's worth all the effort of traveling there, just for a day/night?
Apr 19th, 2004, 10:34 AM

http://www.jtb.co.jp/sunrisetour/

Hello BigFeat,

Above is the link for the most popular tours from Tokyo, it is very informative. I definatly feel it was worth taking the tour, just on the ability to "leave the driving to them".
I am one who likes to do things on my own, however, I was traveling with my mother and did not feel it right to subject her to my haphazard traveling style. We had limited time (6days) and the tours did well for us. The city of Tokyo was itself pretty easy to get around once you comprehend the train system.Check out the Sunrise tour site.
One thing to be aware of was that the tours drop off participants in Shinjuko and Ginza and you find your way back to your hotel, this was ok for us because we were staying at the Hilton in Shinjuko and the drop off point was walkable to our place. If one's hotel was not near either of those districts it could be a hassle to make it back to ones hotel after a long day out on the road.
I am sure you will enjoy your trip!
Apr 19th, 2004, 10:51 AM

Hi Asykes,

I think one day was enough for us (see tour link below).

http://www.jtb.co.jp/sunrisetour/

I saw what the tour showed and also feel there is always room for further exploration. I can get enjoyment by just walking around a town and looking at day to day things. I think though, with the overnight deal, unless I had an Onsen at my hotel, I was fine with one day. Mind you, it might be a nice respite from the hubbub of Tokyo. No matter what you chose I do not think you can go wrong.
Have fun!

Apr 19th, 2004, 11:07 AM

Hi again Asykes,

I just noticed you were going to be in Tokyo for four days. There is alot to do and see in Tokyo and I think one day to Fuji/Hakone would serve you well. I appreciated seeing Mt. Fuji "in person" and that alone made the jaunt worthwhile.

Have fun!