Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Need travel agent- Thailand/Vietnam trip

Old May 2nd, 2002, 02:30 PM
Meredith Shelley

I live in New York City and am planning a Thailand/Vietnam trip with a friend for June/July. This is such foreign territory to me that we are having a hard time figuring out where to begin. We have contacted a travel agent in New Jersey to begin planning our trip, but I am nervous since they don't specialize in that part of the world. Does anyone know of an agent in New York, or even based in Asia (they might have the best itinerary having the best proximity) who could put together a fabulous 3-week trip?

Old May 2nd, 2002, 03:40 PM
Alan

Hi, Meredith!

You will probably find this easier -- and cheaper -- than you thought, thanks to the resources of the world-wide-web. Really, all you need to start is a cheap ticket to Ho Chi Minh City. When you get there, go down to Pham Ngu Lao, the street of the backpacker tourists. There are travel agents there who will organise cheap flights to nearby Asian countries. The prices are all written on a blackboard, and are so tempting that you will probably want to add Laos and Cambodia to your itinerary as well. Just make sure you have visas in order.
You will be surprised at how many Americans with helpful tips that you will run into, and you will also be heartened by the fact that almost everybody speaks some English.

The internet is a wonderful tool, and if you do a "Vietnam" or "Thailand" search on google, you can do all your first-night accommodation right on-line. Other than that, you will be able to find things on-the-spot with no difficulty. The Vietnamese are wonderful people who know how important tourism is to their economy.... you will get help at every step.
The weather in Vietnam (and possibly Thailand, too) in June/July will be taxing for you... is there no way you can re-schedule your trip for a more temperate time of year?

Old May 3rd, 2002, 07:01 AM
Meredith

Hi Alan,

Thanks so much for the info. The weather was definitely one of our biggest concerns... when you say taxing, what do you mean? We have received such mixed advice from people regarding the weather. Some say it is miserable and you are wet all the time and some say that it rains heavily for an hour or two in the afternoon but that is about it. Since we have not booked anything, we still have a chance to change the plan, so it would be really helpful if you could give me an idea of what it would be like. Have you actually been there in June/July or only heard about it?

Old May 3rd, 2002, 11:13 AM
Mary Anne Cook

If you are a backpacker the way described above might be the way you want to travel. My trips the last 2 years have been planned by this couple. Check out their website www.indochinatours.com or e-mail:[email protected]
I could not have had 2 better trip with their helping me plan an individualized trip. I was like you wanting to go to Vietnam,but somewhat unsure until my daughter found this website ,and I called this couple. Any other questions I will be happy to answer. Vietnam is my favorite country after traveling 6 Asian countries. The people are delightful.

Old May 4th, 2002, 05:57 PM
mari

meredith--

re the weather in vn, i found june/july not too bad. i lived in saigon 4 yrs (coming from hawaii) and the worst part of the yr, weather-wise, was april and may; the coolest months were nov and december. in april and may, the two months before rainy season, temperatures are 35C and above, w/ absolutely no rain, and it's horribly still and muggy, just like summers at home right before a rainstorm. after late may, the rains begin, and yes, it's pretty much daily, lasting from a few minutes to an hour or so. for me it was no problem--if u're on the road, u just pull over and wait it out in a cafe. u will need a cheap rain poncho, sold everywhere for abt $1, and wettable footwear. but it just doesn't get as hot, and the rain brings a refreshing coolness and dampens down the dust.

the best part of ur timing is that june/july are the best months for fruit--different varieties of mango and banana, dragonfruit, mangosteen, lychee from hanoi, milkfruit, and things i don't know the english names for. go to the market and try everything! next time i'm in vn, i'll also try to hit peak fruit season.

Old May 8th, 2002, 06:18 AM
Jen

Call Linden Travel in NYC--I use them and are using them to plan trip to Thailand and Cambodia in June. They are the best. Ask for someone who specializes in that area