Thailand & Vietnam in June?

Jan 13th, 2005, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Thailand & Vietnam in June?

We're considering a 3 week trip this summer. I've researched the weather stats, and realize that this is the "rainy season", also very hot. My question is: day to day, how bad would it be? Is everything airconditioned in the cities, like China? Would it be much worse than Hong Kong? Are we likely to have to hole up for days at a time due to rains?

We were in China last summer and, while hot, it was bearable (at least where we were: Beijing-Xian-Shanghai area). We adjusted by simply not trying to do too much when the heat was oppressive.

Would appreciate any comparisons regarding Thailand and Vietnam travel in the summer vs. China -- especially the weather, but any other points that might be of interest. I'm actually trying to drag my family back to China this summer, but the majority vote is for something different! Thank you very much.
Jan 13th, 2005, 07:38 PM

Hi Ed-we visited both early July 2003 and while it was hot, it is hotter here in Oz at 44 degrees today! Look, all I can say is I'd not travel in that season again, if I could avoid it. Rain was not the problem. In fact we noted how dry it was! but the heat was around 37 degrees C in Saigon. Not unbearable but one just got tired quicker!

Nov/Dec is so much nicer. Having said that, in Dec 2003, it rained for a week in Hoi An! Just go with the flow, so to speak!
Jan 13th, 2005, 07:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Lyndie. Our problem is we take our kids when we travel, so we're pretty much limited to the summer when school is out.... It's interesting that you experienced dry heat. Must have been an unsual season, based on the climate data I've seen.
Jan 13th, 2005, 08:04 PM

Sorry Ed, I meant that we noticed the lack of rain. The heat was HUMID but the rain was not memorable. That's not to say it did not rain whilst we were tucked up in bed with a couple of vodkas under our belt! However, for example, we stayed in Hue for 2 nights and went motor bike riding with guides. Not one drop of rain! I just checked my photo album to prove it! You'll have fun anyway and if you must travel then, just do it. Laos is another wonderful destination if you have not been there.
Jan 21st, 2005, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses, Lyndie, and sorry to perseverate on this so much, but I'm still trying to convince my family that they could bear the Vietnam and/or Thailand heat in June. Since we have China in August as a basis for comparison, could anyone compare these 2 other countries directly to various parts of China at that time, in terms of the oppressiveness of heat and humidity? Our worst days were in Hangzhou and Bejing last August. Would Vietnam and Thailand be much or any worse? How would they compare to Hong Kong? When it does rain, does that cool things down at all? Thanks.
Jan 21st, 2005, 08:36 PM

During June in Thailand you can do what locals do and head out of town along the coast as the season actually changes from rainy to 'dry', down in places Hua Hin, Cha Am and Pranburi it is 'dry'. so if you want some relaxation away from the heat (and rain ) then a few days at the coast in Hua Hin would be very pleasant, try the Hyatt, Marriott, Sofitel, Dusit and similar. The Sheraton opens later in the year.