Need help with 3-day itinerary at Phuket in mid-Oct

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be travelling to Thailand (Phuket and Bangkok) in mid-Oct. After doing some research and got recommendations from friends, we are planning to stay at TwinPalms Resort in Surin Beach, Phuket for 3 nights (based on budget and offerings). Need help in putting together an itinerary for our 3 days at Phuket.

We are looking for some where peaceful to relax, yet still would like to travel to the town area to see some actions. Looking forward to enjoy massages on the beache and some good (and cheap) food.

- Is Surin beach a nice area to stay at? (We haven't booked yet - still can change!)
- I read about hiring a driver to travel to different areas like Patong, is that necessary?
- Any recommendations on restaurants in Surin beach or other areas?
- We are interested in scuba diving/ snokering (only done it once during a Caribbean cruise); or should we take those sailing day-trip?
- How long should I expect to spend at Patong area and what time of the day should I go?

We are then going to head to BKK after Phuket for two nights.
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 11:24 AM

October weather in Phuket will likely be stormy. Beaches ar often red-flagged at that time of year. That will limit things like swimming in the sea or snorkling.

No need for a driver on Phuket. You can hire a taxi or a tuk-tuk to take you from one area to another.

I'm not sure what kind of "action" you are looking for. If you want bars and nightlife, then go to Patong in teh evening.

Really, there is no need for an itinerary for Phuket - that's where people go to relax and enjoy the beach.
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 11:51 AM

October can be a good month in Phuket. Likely to be stormy? I doubt it. Some rain, some wind, and some beautiful sunshine is more likely.

Red flags appear at Phuket beaches as a matter of routine during low season and are rarely removed before high season.
Of course, absolute respect must be given to the power of the sea, but it really isn't the big deal that many claim on this board.

Here is a link to a weather blog from a Phuket resident.( I've selected the month of October). Here you will also find all the info you require for Phuket.

http://tiny.cc/E052I

Old Aug 5th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

We are looking forward to relax in Phuket. Yet we would like to visit Patong (just to see the town), possibly take a day trip to Phi Phi Island (or something similar) or a scuba diving day trip. Trying to get recommendations on things to see except for relaxing at the resort/ beach...

Old Aug 5th, 2008, 06:24 PM

i really don't think in 3 days that you have much time to do a lot...i would forget phi phi....that would take a whole day...

october is not the best time to go...you might want to reconsider...

personally i would spend all 5 days in bkk and pick a hotel with a really nice pool, like the marriott resort or royal orchid sheraton or peninsula....that way you could experience a "beach" feeling...

your transportation costs and the time to go back and forth will eat up so much of your holiday i fear you will not enjoy it...
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 04:59 AM

You have to considor the weather, it is the rainy season and although you can be lucky don't be surprised to have stormy weather. I live in Phuket for many years and october can be a rough month for weather, as it is also the time when seasons change, so you can get a great day of sunshine and clouds and rain the next. I would plan trips once you arrive.
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 05:04 AM

The Manathai at Surin is very nice, well managed place, more boutique style than Twin Plams, around $100 or suites $180, so not that cheap. One of the best low season deals are Centara Villas, on hillside overlooking Karon beach, walkway down to the beach, villas about $75. ocean view $98, Spa villas $125 and top end ocean view pool villas $150, very tropical style and good views, does give you easy access to both Karon and Patong ( though transport needed to both unless you walk down to beach and then to Karon Circle, but tuk-yuk into Patong about 10 minutes, very tropical in style and the sea view pool villas are good value at that price.
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 05:22 AM

patong is best visited in the evening to get the full view of what its all about....it is seedy but not objectionable....there is nothing there to see really...there are lots of restaurants, clubs, shopping...there are two main streets and the streets that connect the two of them...
i think you could spend one full evening there and be done with it.

the tuk tuks all charge the same price and personally i find it a bit of a rip off...100 B per person for about a 4 mile trip is an example....

your hotel may offer transportation, for a fee, to patong??