Phi Phi OR Krabi??

Search

Phi Phi OR Krabi??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2003, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phi Phi OR Krabi??

Travelling to Thailand 3rd week in October, after Bangkok looking for a week elsewhere, we hear both Phi Phi and Krabi are good, anyone have a preferance. We're looking for the usual; comfort, great food/weather, if we feel like it nighttime bars etc but happy just to chill as well!

Suggestions welcomed. Is this a good time to travel there weatherwise?

Old Aug 7th, 2003, 10:37 AM

October is NOT a good month weatherwise in the Phuket area. It is the second rainiest month. The winds will affect the clarity of the water. Take a look at weatherbase.com. Bali and points south of Singapore are a much better choice for beaches in October.

If you still decide to go, I would choose Krabi and hire a boat or do a group day tour of Phi Phi and surrounding islands. Phi Phi is very small, and Krabi offers more alternatives and more dramatic beauty. The beauty of Phi Phi are the twin circular harbours. The surrounding islands are worth a visit as well. If you can, hire a boat for overnight and really get a chance to see outlying islands. Otherwise, try to hire for just a day. Group tour will be last choice, as your itinerary is set by them. If you want info on charter companies, write back on this thread.
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 10:12 AM

I am going to Krabi in January. Heard of good places to stay? I was looking at Rayavadee, though it is quite expensive...
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 11:11 AM

October is towards the end of the rainy season, however if you are desperate for dry weather the Gulf of Thailand is not that wet at all in October, e.g Koh Samui.
Phi Phi is a loevly island but tourism has taken it's toll, and you are rather limited. If you are on the mainland at say Ao nang beach it is easy to get boats to the islands and other beaches. The Tubkaak resort is excellent and good value. The Rayavadee and Sheraton are very expensive, fine if you can afford, otherwise places like the Tubkaak in Krabi are great resorts.
But do considor the weather, if that is a worry I would go for Koh Samui as a safer bet, you might get some rain but not nearly as much as you would in Krabi/Phi Phi.
Try these local Thai sites for some ideas, they show Samui plus Krabi and Phi Phi resorts.

http://www.freewebs.com/koh_samui_hotels/

Click for Krabi and Phi Phi also.

If you are heading for Koh Samui peace resort at Bophut is good, plus lots of cheaper places.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 09:09 AM

To prescott: Rayavadee is an amazing place even though it seems to be considerably more pricey than everywhere else in the area. If you compare it to what you would pay in Hawaii for something comparable, this is actually a bargain. Come to think of it, there may not be anything comparable, except perhaps on the remote side of Kauai.
While we we stayed there last month, it seemed that we nearly had the place to ourselves and from that standpoint it was great. However, the eating options were limited due to the season. In January, that should not be a problem.
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 09:19 AM

If I don't get to pee-pee (Phi Phi) soon, I get very crabby (Krabi).

Sorry, sorry

My personal favorite is Phang Nga area.