Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

National Geographic Traveler - how safe are these countries

Mar 27th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Just came across an article in my April issue of National Geographic Traveler magazine about travel safety, listing crime/safety levels for some popular destinations. I notice posters often ask about "how safe..." a country is, so thought I'd post the bit.

1. Take normal precautions
Bhutan, Hong Kong, New Zealand

2. Keep an eye out
Australia, Canada, Iceland, Japan, United States

3. Watch your wallet
Bahamas, China, Costa Rica, Czech Republic, France, India, Israel, Italy, Netherlands, Peru, Thailand, Turkey, U.K., Vietnam

4. Stay vigilant
Brazil, Ecuador, Honduras, Indonesia, Jamaica, Kenya, Mexico, Philippines, Russia

5. Use extra care
South Africa
Mar 27th, 2005, 04:46 PM

having been to several of those countries and some of them quite a few times, i'm not sure i agree with this vague assessment...

in cities all over the world one needs to pay attention to "safety" and security....usually that is not your personal safety but rather the safety of your possessions...

dress conservatively, don't wear much jewerly, keep you money safe and don't carry more than you need for that day, keep your valuables in the room safe at all times or get one at the front desk, know where you are going, don't go alone anymore than necessary and not at night if possible...don't look for trouble or advertise that you are an easy target....keep your money secure and when you are in a crowded place keep a finger on it...keep you back to a wall on croweded public areas like on public transports...

in short common sense....and that includes in your own neighborhood too..
Mar 27th, 2005, 08:10 PM

well; i've been to twelve of the thirty-two locations you listed, and the only place i was a victum of a crime(pickpocket) was paris.
Mar 28th, 2005, 05:00 AM

I have visited (and/or lived)in 18 of these places--and the one place I was attacked and dragged down the street behind a moped was--SEVILLE, SPAIN!
Mar 28th, 2005, 05:11 AM

I've been to 14 of them. The only time I ever felt uncomfortable was in RIO.
Mar 28th, 2005, 06:19 AM

I've lived or been to 12 of those listed. Never been a victim of crime when travelling, but I've felt uncomfortable in parts of DC; and several scary incidents in the occupied West Bank and disputed East Jerusalem.
Mar 28th, 2005, 06:43 AM

The only place I've ever been robbed was New York and I lived there. The only place I felt unsafe was Rome.

This list seems very weird to me.
Mar 28th, 2005, 06:48 AM

I think that list seem pretty accurate when you think about petty crimes like pick-pocketting, or having rental cars broken into.
Mar 28th, 2005, 06:48 AM

I would suggest reading the article. Taking the list out of context is not very helpful.It's an interesting read.
Mar 28th, 2005, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Agreed with last poster's suggestion to read the whole article, it has some helpful tips. I've lived in three of the countires listed and visited some others including Kenya under level 4 and I felt safe there, also been to the Philippines under 4 as well and didn't feel safe. So a lot depends. I posted the bit just for the sake of sharing, it's addtional info but shouldn't be treated as the golden rule.
Mar 28th, 2005, 08:19 AM

ahh might as well play the game....
i've been too 13 and have had litle too no probs in anyplace..
Mar 28th, 2005, 09:36 AM

I've done 12, no major problem in any. Will be interesting to see the article to see if they compare 'like with like'. I hope they played fair in comparing places.
Mar 28th, 2005, 04:00 PM

We have visited eighteen of the countries listed some more than once.

You cannot beat plain old common sense!dress casually, no expensive jewellery or "brand" clothing, eg the latest Nike's. Ladies don't carry a purse. Buy clothing with lots of pockets. Know where you are going - don't draw attention to yourself by pulling out a large map at a street corner! Look confident. However, things happen - chalk it up to experience - they probably needed it more than you!
Mar 28th, 2005, 07:40 PM

I guess I'll get into this one too...14 visited, 0 incidents..Had a close call in Jamaica though once...
Mar 29th, 2005, 04:19 PM

I'll put my 2 cents in as well. I've been to 16 of the countries and was robbed once in Spain, in Torrmellinos (sp?) and had a chain grabbed off my neck at the Times Square subway station in NY on a Sunday morning when the station was deserted. I live in NY and should have seen that one coming. I've never felt unsafe or threatened anywhere in the world. Just be alert and keep valuables out of sight!
Mar 30th, 2005, 06:57 AM

I've been to 11 of them on the list and I'm always cautious in Paris, but feel safe down in the south in Beausoleil. I think the list is a bit ridiculous since different areas of a country are different as far as safety. I was in Brazil...however in the Bahia region and felt very safe, but not as safe in Sao Paulo. And I'm always cautious at home in the States no matter where it is in the States. Happy Travels!
Apr 7th, 2005, 04:18 AM

I have been to thirteen of those countries and I never felt unsafe or uncomfortable. The only placs my husband was robbed at gunpoint was St. Martin. He was driving in a car by himself, they stopped the car and robbed him in the french side. Police kept my husband for hours (many,many hours)for paper work and they were supposed to let us know if they catch them, we never heard anything from them, and we never went back. We used to spend one week there every year for relaxation.
Apr 7th, 2005, 06:52 PM

If your concerned about safety or travel warnings, try the Canadian websight for travel information. They are a little more practical