In-room safe at hotel

Search

In-room safe at hotel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2004, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In-room safe at hotel

I'm just curious how people feel about using the in-room safe in hotels in Europe? I have thankfully never had a problem with one and wonder if I am naive to think my belongings will always be safe in one. They have been the type where you set your own combination to open it. Thanks for sharing your experiences!
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 11:05 AM

I always leave everything, including large amounts of cash in the in-room safe. I am aware that the staff can always open them, but if you are staying in an internationally reknowned deluxe establishment, there is nothing to worry about.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 11:09 AM

I use them, but would never leave large amounts of cash. Actually I would never travel with things I cannot bear to lose. While they are safer then leaving your stuff out and about if something is stolen the hotel has no real responsiblity and of course you have no proof that you actually had large amounts of cash. For true valuables the front desk safe where you get a receipt would be the best way to go.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 11:09 AM

One poster on Flyertalk reported having expensive items (jewelry, etc.) stolen from an in-room safe at the Intercontinental in Paris. Another poster reported a large theft from an in-room safe at a somewhat lesser hotel, also in Paris.
I also read on this board about instances where the safes were ripped out of the wall while the guests were out (obviously).
Still, I think I will use them if available, because carrying stuff around would probably be more dangerous in my case.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 11:11 AM

I don't trust in-room safes.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 11:17 AM

I look at it this way:

If I walked around with my passports, and a few thousand EUR in cash, I'd be much more nervous of being a victim of a crime, even a violent one, than if I left it in an in-room safe.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 11:19 AM

True, that's your opinion. Some people would rather take chances the other way and take their belongings with them; of course, they use money belts, etc.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 11:20 AM

I agree with that, although I'd usually have significantly less cash at any given time on my person. However, I imagine it's probably best of all to put valuables in the hotel safe.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 11:21 AM

I meant I would worry more about losing or having my passport stolen, if I were carrying it around, than I would about leaving it in a hotel safe.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 11:32 AM

Petty thievery is urban Europe's favorite past time. Don't leave anything in your hotel room that you couldn't live without. No need to carry excessive cash or travellor's checks anymore (ATM's are everywhere or use a charge card). Carry your visa, cash, bank cards, plane tickets, etc. in your hidden money belt whenever you leave the hotel. Keep your camera with you. Leave the fancy jewelry home.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 11:36 AM

Rick, how about putting that stuff in the hotel safe (not the in-room safe)? Do you still think it's better to put it in a money belt?
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 11:36 AM

You can always ask to leave valuables in the hotel's safe rather than your room safe--and get a receipt for what you leave.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 11:40 AM

My opinion alone but I don't trust the hotel safes either. Even with a receipt it doesn't guarantee that one of the employees can get into it. Maybe a receipt is proof to cover losses if any.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 12:31 PM

The simple solution to all this is not to carry cash or jewelry with you. Visit the ATM to get enough cash for a couple of days and charge wherever you can. Keep your credit cards and passport with you (credit cards in 2 or more different places in your purse) and just pay attention to what you're doing. I've done this in more than 50 trips to europe over the last 25 years and have never had a problem. Nor have any of my friends or family been robbed or had anything stolen from their rooms.

Good luck? Maybe. Or maybe just being careful and aware.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 12:50 PM

Count me among those favoring in-room safes. I feel much more confident keeping my passport, airline tickets, unneeded cash and credit cards there, rather than carrying them on me. I carry a photocopy of the passport pages.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 12:54 PM

If you should need to make a claim against a hotel for lost valuables, having a receipt is a good way to start. That's what the Ombudsman column in the Condé-Nast Traveler magazine advises; otherwise you have no way to prove that you lost something.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 12:56 PM
ira

Hi sugar,

An in-room safe will protect against the casual visitor who is looking for something out in the open.

It will not substantially slow down a professional thief.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 01:04 PM

After all these years of travelling to Europe, finally last year, I used the hotel safe for the first time..

But of course, I stayed at family style hotel and felt very comfortable about it, because my room wasn't too far from the desk..Also the desk clerk screen the guests.
To get in at the HotelParlamento in Rome ,you had to ring the door bell and identify yourself..

When i go to Rome I always stay there.

in Paris I stayed at the Bonaparte..

I felt very comfortable leaving all my belonging there also.

I dont know if I felt the same in a bigger place, where people come and go all day long..
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 01:20 PM

A few years ago we stayed at the St Regis Grand hotel in Rome. A couple on our tour came back from dinner to find that the entire safe had been stolen from their room. The thief took one of their suitcases to carry the safe out of room without being seen. The safe had been in the closet. We recently stayed at the Intercontinental in Rome and noticed that the safe was actually in the wall. This felt safer.
Be careful. We recently stayed
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 01:44 PM
sandi

Only if you secure items in the hotel safe (usually located near the Reception area) are you safe. Safe in that the hotel is then responsible and carries insurance for losses. Be certain to get a receipt of items placed in this safe.

The hotel has no liability if anything is stolen from in-room safes. While they are convenient, and we've never had anything stolen, I would never put anything of real importance/value in a room safe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -