Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

must-visit restaurants in bangkok/siem reap/phuket?

Old Oct 1st, 2007, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there -

We're getting set to leave on our fabulous honeymoon in just 22 days! We'll be in Bangkok, Siem Reap, Chiang Dao, Patong, and Kamala. Am looking for recommendations for don't-miss restaurants/shows/bars, etc. Thanks!

Old Oct 1st, 2007, 01:35 PM

Here's a great thread on restaurants in Siem Reap - link to our blog with lots of photos

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...7&tid=34937836

On our blog - also go to Bangkok and you'll see lots of pics for 3 restaurants we really enjoyed.

Old Oct 1st, 2007, 01:36 PM

Talking a little staccato today!

I meant to say - on the Fodors Siem Reap Restaurant thread there is a link to our blog which has restaurant names and photos from meals we enjoyed in SR and Bangkok.

Old Oct 1st, 2007, 01:40 PM

For Siem Reap, we had a good and fun dinner at Cafe Indochine. The restaurant at Hotel de la Paix was good. Pub Street has some fun places - very casual.
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 04:58 PM

There was a food thread last week I think it was. Take a look at that one for extra ideas. Happy Travels!
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 07:50 PM

i have a bkk rest. list if you are interested, just ask:

[email protected]

if you want us to suggest things tell us the kind of things you like...

my favorite thai place is harmonique near the river...

my fav italien place is biscotti in the four seasons...

i love the dim sum lunch at the liu rest. on 3rd floor of the conrad hotel...

the sunday brunch at the rang mahal rest. in the rembrandt hotel is fantastic...

bed supper club is fun---res necessary...

the cafes at the jim thompson house and the main store on suriwong are fantastic and very reasonable...
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 08:39 PM

Zinders-arguably one of the most elegant, lovely and romantic Thai restaurants in Thailand is SALATHIP-at the Shangri-La Hotel, right there on the banks of the Chao Phraya river-with its exquisite Thai teak house dining areas, that open up to the river and the evening sky, the tables all candlelit, beautifully decorated, the river, the candlelight- the courses served so elegantly-(the food here is QUITE good) under the moon and the stars, there is live romantic Thai music, and classical Thai dancing-in short, it's got everything honeymooners would want for a lovely Thai experience, (this is no huge tourist gathering place here) and then some. Very intimate. Highly recommended, love Salathip!

Here is a picture of Salathip from Trip Advisor:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationP....html#16965358
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 08:52 PM

We thought that Khmer Kitchen in Siem Reap in the old market area had great food for a very good price with very friendly staff. We also thought that the much touted Abacus was overpriced with mediocre food and aloof acting staff. The Blue Pumpkin has great sweets and ice cream and their dishes are supposed to be very good as well...cute shop right next door, too.

Old Oct 1st, 2007, 09:52 PM

In Siem Reap, definitely Blue Pumpkin (the one in town is the best) for lunch. For dinner, Bopha Ankgor has the best local Khmer food by a mile--and FCC is great for more upscale local/Western variety.
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the recs...we are staying at both the shangri-la and bopha angkor, so i'm glad to know they have good food on site in case we're exhausted!

rhkkmk - you've got mail
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 09:30 PM

I really liked Dead Fish Tower in Siem Reap.

I thought the FCC there was good but not great. Glad I ate there once and would again on aother trip, but wouldn't go out of my way for it.

Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 06:23 AM

zinders.....i don't think i got mail from you??
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 09:53 AM

ok zin---i did get it....sorry...
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 09:54 AM

a really fun 1.5 hours is spent at the calypso cabaret show at the asia hotel in bkk....book on line...its a hoot...
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 09:57 AM

a visit to the sky bar atop the state building at the base of silom rd is a lovely experience at nite....proper dress required...
where are you staying in bkk?

custom clothing and jewelry are really good buys in bkk....
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

We're staying at the Shangri-La in Bangkok, Bopha Angkor in Siem Reap, the Chiang Dao Nest in Chiang Dao, the Impiana Phuket in Patong and the Layalina in Kamala. We're also doing an overnight kayak trip with John Gray. Can't wait!!!
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 05:09 PM

For a special meal on Phuket, take a taxi or tuk tuk down to Kata Beach and try one of the two Mom Tri restaurants. Once is called the Grill, and it is located INSIDE the Boathouse Hotel on Kata Beach. The setting is beachside, outdoors, with exc service, food, and wine list.

The other one is called Mom Tri's Kitchen. It is an outdoor, remantic, top notch restaurant located at Mom Tri's Villa Royale property. It's just a little further down the road from the Boathouse. Lovely setting! Great food, service, wine list. I think you would want to make a reservation at either one of them, just to be sure of getting a table.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 05:27 PM

zin---jon the shangri-la club--its free on line....this entitles you to several things incl. reduced price or free breakfast and late checkouts...

angenelli in the sh-la is very good....the thai rest. out by the river gets mixed reviews but the setting is beautiful...

make sure you have the breakfast...