Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Men's cotton dress shirts - tailor made?

Old Jan 11th, 2006, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have experience in buying men's cotton dress shirts using the measurements we do here in US (such as 15/34)- either custom made or already put together? Given the price here for nice dress shirts I am wondering if they are less expensive in Bangkok, but still good quality. Any suggestions?
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 07:05 AM

See the post on Rajawonse Clothiers - custom made shirts, $25 each. Maybe someone else can chime in on US sizes but my guess is its not likely that you will find them in Bangkok.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 09:41 AM

I've had lots of shirts made in Bangkok, and they're very good quality. I used Mr. Bobby at Raja's Fashions, just around the corner from Rajawongse on soi Nana (directly scross the street from the Nana Hotel). Lots and lots of choices of materials. I find the made-to-measure shirts in Bangkok to be about 50-60% of the price of those of similar quality in Hong Kong.

Most tailors will be happy to do shirts with a single fitting, though Mr Bobby prefers 2. If you want shirts made for someone else, just bring a shirt that fits that person, and a tailor will replicate it.

Old Jan 11th, 2006, 11:55 AM

You don't go to a tailor and ask for dress shirts in a size. The shirts are truly custom-tailored for you. They are quite inexpensive as mentioned above. Don't try to take a friend's shirts for them to duplicate the size, it just doesn't work that way.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 02:09 PM

i ahve4 had almost all my shirts made in bkk for about 10 years...

my tailor sometimes has a special of 6 for $80....totally custom....

craig has mentioned a good source...

you can customize it any way you want---pencil pocket, long tails, tons of collar styles....

readi-made shirts probably will not fit you....maybe if you were 13/25 they might fit....
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

LOL - no I didn't mean ready made off the rack. I meant if you want a 15/34 could you order a 15/34 and get it made without needing so much fitting as those shirts are sort of standard. (yes, yes, I know couture is better.)
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 08:02 PM

No, you don't order a custom made shirt by size, you are measured for it. For a shirt, you will will likely need only one fitting (maybe two). Once you've had shirts custom made, you'll undertand the difference.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 08:28 PM

would not suggest it...they would have no idea about the rest of you...no standards...they claim they can make one from a sample but i would not rely on it...
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 04:09 AM

sammie...when i was in the US on holiday, i bought a ton of new dress shirts at marshalls and tj maxx. they were generally $24.99-34.99. good quality italian brands (asian tailoring, of course), good fabric, etc. I don't see how you could do much better in thailand...ok perhaps you can pay less but without fittings you are taking your chance on fit more than if you bought a packaged shirt in the US. it might just be me but i do not find the tailor shops in BKK to be very pleasant and i would prefer not to deal with these things on vacation.

i realise that people have trusted tailors that they have seen for years and get custom fittings, but this is different from what you are talking about. i don't see the benefit.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 04:55 AM

Sammie
If you are looking for nice ready made dress shirts in Bangkok, you will find them in your size. But you will have to go to the top end mall stores to do so. You won't find the prices there to be competitive with Marshalls or TJ Max, imho.

I think your best bet is to try at least one or two tailor-made shirts, as they really are a good value. Then you can decide for yourself whether it is worth the time and effort (fittings, measuring, etc) to buy your clothing that way.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

thanks all - your input is appreciated and as always, I learn something new all the time on this forum.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 08:15 AM

rhkkmk

Can you share the name/location of your tailor? I will be in BKK a very short time (arrive about 2:00 pm and leave 2 days later in the early evening) and I would love to find a 6 for $80 special, but am concerned about time.