Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Bangkok Tailor and also the Quality of Fabric?

Feb 25th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

I'm planning to have a skirt, pants and Jacket copied when I'm in Bangkok (an fancy tee shirt if they do stretchy material). Staying at the Peninsula.
So far I've narrowed it down to JS Thai Silk and Cotton House. Don't know if Jack at Monet il Sarto does women's clothes. BUT, I've seen some posts that the fabrics aren't great--specifically cottons, linens and wools, which are what I'll mostly need (can i assume the silk is top notch?) No point in getting something custom if it's going to look used up in one season. Any thoughts on fabric quality or names of Tailors to add to my list?
Feb 25th, 2010, 04:57 PM

I can't speak for silks. But none of the tailors that I've used in Bangkok (Raja, Monet il Sarto, Maxcoco, and 1 other next to the Sheraton) have cottons and wools that are, at best, serviceable but mediocre.

If you want made-to-measure with top quality, or even very good quality, fabrics -- sea island cotton or Zegna wools, for example -- you'll need to either bring your own fabric or have your clothes made in Hong Kong or the West.

That said, the value of made-to-measure stuff in Bangkok is still very good, and the vast majority of people (including me, most of the time) are ok with BKK fabrics.
Feb 25th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

That's a bit discouraging, but very good to know. I'm surprised though since so many men seem to get their shirts and suits made there.
Feb 25th, 2010, 05:56 PM

Read more carefully. People buy clothes in BKK because it's good value. You didn't ask about value -- you asked about quality.
Feb 25th, 2010, 06:29 PM

Hmm...I've had my suits made at World Garments near the Oriental for years, and I mostly go for the light English wools they have. Quality is excellent. Most of my suits have lasted 10 years or more.
Feb 25th, 2010, 06:47 PM

Also remember, make sure you leave yourself time for at least a couple of fittings. Something always needs to be "fixed" or "corrected" before it is done. According to DW.
Feb 25th, 2010, 06:49 PM

I've had copies made and the results have been either poor or disastrous. I've also had clothes made in a different quality from the fabric i specified. I used to work in the rag trade and deal in fabrics, I'm sorry to say that you'll have to dig around for anything really outstanding here.
Of more concern though is the quality of workmanship - I'm sure most of them have never even heard of an over-locker..
i often look in horror as someone walks around clearly proud of the trousers they've "had made" and they really are a joke.
Feb 25th, 2010, 07:48 PM

my shirts last for years....in fact after 12 years of thai trips, i have yet to wear one out....

i don't think the wools are the same quality that you can get in england or italy, even though they claim that they are from there, but they are good long lasting fabrics with plenty of body.... but you have to pay a bit extra for the best....no deals there...

we have also had things made with thai fabrics, other than silk, and they last very well...

js thai silk is best for woman's silk items....they also have some linen, cottons and garbedine (sp)... watch the product carefully as it is made.... know what you want exactly for details....

cotton house also is excellent with a wide selection....not sure if they have wool but they must...

have many many fittings to assure success...

go on your first day to get the process started
Feb 25th, 2010, 07:48 PM

there are boats from the penn hourly to river city and on demand to OP Place ( cotton hse)
Feb 25th, 2010, 08:48 PM

Nobody have heard of "over-locker" because it's call Overlock or "Juck Poeng" in this part of the world.
Feb 25th, 2010, 08:53 PM

So wilko which Bangkok tailor do you use that produces such bad quality garments? Do tell so people here can stay away from them.