Mekong Delta

Jan 9th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Mekong Delta

Love to do a trip on the Mekong Delta. We have 2 weeks. Where do we start.
Jan 9th, 2009, 03:47 PM

I could be really snarky and say, "start by getting a guide book."
But rather, why don't you start by giving people here who are willing to take the time to answer questions some info:
Time of year?
Budget?
How do you like to travel? Backpacker? 5-star?
What do you hope to see?
Prior experience? Have you traveled in this part of the world before?
Where exactly do you want to go? The Mekong is a long river.
Will this be part of a longer trip or a trip by itself?
Jan 9th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Why would you desire to be "snarky". I simply asked for advise on travel to this region. I have travelled to Vietnam, Cambodia, and Thailand and truly enjoyed it.
Jan 9th, 2009, 04:05 PM

Kristina's questions are good ones. Answering them will help us know whether to recommend a cruise down the Mekong on the Pandaw or a delta tour (car or minibus plus a small boat in places) leaving from HCMC.
Jan 9th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Kristina, I love your trip reports. As a traveler I am open to EVERYTHING. As for the Mekong Delta, I am simply asking for suggestions. Yes I want to know as much about the Mekong Delta from users on this form than from a guide book.

Jan 9th, 2009, 04:32 PM

landineen-
It's just a lot easier on people if you give parameters.
Time of year is always important because of things like annual flooding. What if you want to go during that time?
How you like to travel and your budget are also important, even if you are "open to everything".

Sorry, I haven't done a Mekong Delta trip myself, so I can't give any specific recommendations.
One of the companies mentioned on the board here, Tonkin Travel, has some trips. You might start by looking at those.
Also, check the Trip Advisor forums. They are more destination-specific and they have a board just for the Mekong Delta. You might find good info there.
Jan 9th, 2009, 04:38 PM

If you are asking about taking a trip to the Mekong Delta in Vietnam which I have done 2 times I will share what I know. I was staying in Saigon and had a car and driver to take me there. Probably about a 2 hour drive depending on traffic. There are tour companies in Saigon such as Brothers and Handspan that you can book to go with a group. I stayed in Cantho 2 days each time I went.
I enjoyed sitting there in the square talking to people in the evening. There are boats you could probably rent independently if you are traveling there by bus on your own. The interesting thing is being on the river seeing all the floating markets and how the people live. Last time I was there I stayed at the Victoria which is a lovely hotel.
Jan 9th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

This is just the beginning. We leave for Guatemala and Ghana then plan the Mekong trip in October 09 or March 2010. Thanks M1, love to here from others.
Jan 9th, 2009, 09:44 PM

So, did you marry her in New Zealand?
Jan 10th, 2009, 11:46 AM

Have you read the report on this page about VN at Christmas? A good description of a couple of day trip to the Delta from HCMC.
Jan 11th, 2009, 06:09 AM

Saw a report of calgail describing the trip on the Mekong from Cambodia. I would suggest you read that as their trip is more recent than mine of a few years ago and a different area.