Mekong Delta tours

Aug 23rd, 2007, 01:05 AM
Original Poster

Mekong Delta tours

Hi,

Thinking of travelling to Vietnam (first time) in Nov for up to 2 weeks. Hate rushing around so have decided to go no further north than Hué.

So I would have time for a good long trip to the Delta.

Would anyone care to share their experiences with tours? Particularly if booked after arrival in HCMC.

I am not interested in luxury. And please, please, if you explored with a car and driver, only reply if you can tell me how much it cost you.

I am travelling alone and generally speaking couples just don't get this - car and driver is (a) too expensive and (b) too enclosing.

Huge thanks in advance for any tips you may have.
Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:47 AM

I used Delta Adventure Tours, booked after I arrived, for a tour of the delta plus boat transport on to Phnom Penh. It was pretty basic, I might go for Saigon Tours if I had it to do over. Head over to the backpacker section (Pham Ngu Lao, if I remember right) and you'll find several tour agencies.
Aug 23rd, 2007, 09:09 AM

http://travel.nytimes.com/frommers/t...403020795.html

Check out this 2-week itinerary. I think you can fit in all parts of Vietnam comfortably following this itinerary, but do Mekong Delta instead of Halong Bay in Hanoi.
Aug 23rd, 2007, 09:19 AM

I like your idea of spending your two weeks in central and south VN. I looked at the itinerary cookie refers to, but it would be far too rushed for me. Hanoi (the city, not the surrounding area) is well worth a week in and of itself!

A friend of mine booked a three day tour of the Mekong Delta after she arrived in HCMC. Sorry, don't know which agency she used. There have also been reports here of such trips as a bicycle trip in the delta, and I think you responded to a message a month or so ago about a boat trip in the delta area (not the Pandaw cruise).

Have a great trip!
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Thx for the tips, Thursday - noted!

smartcookie - interesting link but I've decided 14 days is not enough time to see the north too - and besides an open jaw ticket would cost me another $250 (aud) which reseach so far tells me would cover quite a few nights' accommodation.

I will save the north for another time.

Kathie - hi - I will see if I can find my own response to what must have been a question of interest. have to say, though, that until very recently I was planning on Vanuatu!!

Any more people out there with personal experience, would love to hear from you.

Aug 24th, 2007, 07:25 AM

Well, you made me wonder if I had mis-remembered who had commented on the Mekong Delta info. I found the thread, it's called Chau Doc to Can Tho.