Camera Charger

Aug 20th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Camera Charger

I am going to China in a couple of weeks. I've already bought adapters and a multiple outlet strip for all the devices I have to charge. I thought I was all set! However............

I just got off the phone with a Nikon rep who told me that the battery charger for my camera is multivoltage (110-240) but the power cord that connects to the charger is rated at 125V. I was told by one person that I'd have to buy a new cord that would be rated at 240V. Two other people told me the cord wasn't a problem because the charger is meets Chinese voltage requirements. Can anyone advise me on this? I don't want anything to happen to my equipment.

Incidentally, my Epson photo storage device has the same configuration with the charger and cord. The Epson rep said, "No problem." The Nikon rep wasn't as optimistic.

I'm so confused about all this electrical stuff. It ain't fun being technologically challenged!!! Thanks for whatever help you can give me.
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:52 PM

The charges takes pretty low power. The cord doesn't matter.
Aug 20th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. I had this vision of my equipment burning up and possibly the hotel!!!!!
Aug 20th, 2007, 03:01 PM

Well, it's a good idea to check all fire exits and escape routes in any hotel you stay around the world, and definitely China too!

But not because of your cord.
Aug 20th, 2007, 04:42 PM

The above is good advice, especially these days. I was in Jakarta a few weeks ago, where hotels tend to have very tight security, and noticed some gates were padlocked. If I took the wrong route in an emergency, I would have been trapped.
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, rkkwan.

Do you know if I can use a multiple outlet power strip that is NOT a surge protector that says 125V?
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:35 AM

For the chargers, no problem. I wouldn't use it for a hair dryer, however.
Aug 24th, 2007, 10:14 AM

A related question. does anyone know if it is necessary to use a surge protector for items that use a 12v transformer e.g. a laptop?