Luxury Hotels in Goa

Sep 20th, 2005, 12:33 PM
Diane_Solomon

Luxury Hotels in Goa

Hello -
Has anyone been to any of the following hotels in Goa, and is able to provide a good review? I am looking for luxury accomodation on pristine beach, quiet, excellent service, no nightlife needed, just access to good food, in or around resort. I would love feedback on Taj Exotica, Park Hyatt, and Leela. Did I miss any? Thanks so much!
Diane

Sep 20th, 2005, 03:37 PM

I have been to all of them (as a day visitor; I live in California, but I am from Goa).

All of them - Taj Exotica, Park Hyatt and the Leela - are expansive properties with access to the beach. The Park Hyatt is the newest of them all. Also, they are all in south Goa. You may also want to consider the Intercontinental Resort in south Goa. See this -

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ic/1/en/hd/goiha

There is really not much to recommend one over the other. The Leela and the Intercontinental are perhaps more secluded than the others. As for food, none of these are especially distinguished. The best food in Goa is to be had in the shacks and small restaurant in the villages and towns.

In north Goa, you could also consider the Fort Aguada Beach Resort and the Taj Holiday Village (both are adjacent properties run by the Taj Group). There is also the Nilaya Hermitage, highly rated, but the owners are racists (I have described elsewhere why I think that). There we have the city hotel in Panjim, Goa Marriott. It offers exceptional service, and if you want to base yourself in Panjim and travel to points within Goa, this is a very good option. But know that although it is a few steps away from the Miramar beach, it is a city hotel.
Sep 20th, 2005, 04:34 PM

I ahve stayed at both the Leela and the Taj Exotica. I preferred the Taj Exotica - the access to beach was better, the hotel is a bit smaller so more intimate feel, less walking within the property, etc. I love Nilaya hermitage and have recoed it before on this forum - my pref is boutique hotels and Nilaya fits the bill very well. Park Hyatt is the newest and gets good reviews.
Sep 20th, 2005, 06:19 PM

what is a "racist" as it relate to india??
Sep 20th, 2005, 08:34 PM

rhkkmk asks: "what is a "racist" as it relate to india??"

One possible answer - someone who views his own brown-skinned compatriots with contempt while at the same groveling before anyone of a fairer shade.

Sep 20th, 2005, 08:41 PM

Diane,

Go to http://www.tripadvisor.com and type "Goa, India" in the search field. You will find some reviews posted by people who have stayed in the hotels you are interested in.