Travelling alone through Vietnam

Mar 11th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

Travelling alone through Vietnam

Hi,

I'm a planning a trip to Vietnam for December and I wondering if anyone can offer any travel or safety tips for someone travelling alone (as young woman). How safe is this? I'd like to spend a least a month there and hopefully also travel to Thailand and Hong Kong.

Thanks!

Hello to Tenit (home court) if you're out there!
Mar 13th, 2005, 11:11 PM

Me and my wife just returned from Vietnam and we had a good time. We ran into a young lady who had just come from Cambodia and was travling alone. She said she had no problems. My impression is that it is a safe place for a woman to travel alone. We saw no crime whatsoever to speak of and the Vietnamese don't bother single women at all, like you might see in other countries. Good luck!
Mar 14th, 2005, 02:15 AM
Amy

I travelled alone in Vietnam and had a terrific time; at no time did I have any fears for my safety (okay, maybe on the back of a motorbike in HCMC, but that's a little different kind of fear...and they were fine in Hanoi.)
If you'd like to read a little about it, I have a trip report at igougo.com (under the name missalg) as well as a shorter one on here.
Mar 14th, 2005, 02:37 PM

Glad to see you made it over here. I'm sure someone can help you out!
Apr 3rd, 2005, 07:40 AM

Hello,
Well, I am young woman too who will be traveling by myself through Vietnam, Siem Reap Cambodia, Thailand and Hong Kong this June and July. I will reply to your post when I get back and let you know how things go, although I don't anticipate any problems. Sandy
May 22nd, 2005, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies.

SandyD1 - I'd really appreciate a report when you get back. Thanks and have fun.

May 23rd, 2005, 07:52 AM

When I was in Siem Reap, I saw several solo female travelers.

They were probably more safe than in most American cities
Jul 16th, 2005, 01:16 PM

Just read your post....if it helps you, I traveled alone to Saigon and Siem Reap about 5 years ago and I ALWAYS felt totally safe and comfortable. The major problem in Vietnam (less so in Cambodia) is the language issue, since I am a native English speaker with negligable French skill. I also did extensive traveling alone throughout much of Southeast Asia on previous trips..no problem whatsoever. You will meet lots of foreign travelers to keep you company if that is what you want.
Jul 16th, 2005, 08:25 PM

If you're still checking back, Vietnam is a great country for women traveling solo, w/ these caveats:

--Pickpocketing is a real issue. Backpacks can be unzipped from behind or slit open; so can fanny packs. Try to secure your valuables and unneeded items in your lodging and go out w/ passport, credit cards, foreign cash etc in a money belt worn not around your neck but around your waist or better yet, inside the back of your pants. After being pickpocketed twice (in 4 years), I learned to carry cash in a tiny pouch tucked inside my waistband under my shirt.

--Try not to carry backpacks or bags if you're on a bicycle, motorbike or cyclo. Thieves on passing motorbikes often grab these. If you must, don't wrap anything around your body--I was pulled off my bicycle when the strap of a bag just grabbed by a passing motorbike did not break.

--Cross streets with locals when you can, or study how they cross, then do the same.

--When traveling, don't let anyone take your luggage from you unless they work for your airline, bus company etc. Sometimes people who look helpful will grab your bags and before you can get your bearings, your luggage will be locked in a car trunk and you'll be forced to pay a fee to ride that car to your destination.

--The less you wear, the more attention you'll attract. Vietnamese women dress very conservatively; those who don't aren't considered respectable and are treated accordingly. I was wearing a tanktop and slacks when I visited a friend. Her mother took that as a sign of disrespect for Vietnam.

That said, I still say this sounds like a great trip. My own 2 weeks solo in Vietnam inspired me to move there for the next 4 years. I hope you'll report back on your trip.
Jul 20th, 2005, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks for the tips.

I'm really excited and nervous. If any more suggestions comes up I'd really appreciate reading it.
Sep 20th, 2005, 07:00 AM

Travelled is SEA 2 years ago and met many women travelling alone. I would cross borders with others if you can.Its worth checking out if people are travelling or crossing borders at your hotels and guesthouses and cross with them .We travelled with girls from Finland, Australia, Holland and still keep in contact with them after we split up. You will probably meet many other single females travelling the same route, be prepared to adjust your itinery if you hook up with others to remane safe. Will be doing the SEA trip again myself Vietnam is great.

Sep 20th, 2005, 03:55 PM

i travelled alone to vietnam in 1998 and found it to be generally safe. you have to be careful with being 'conned' as in anywhere else. the travel books will tell you to determine your transportation rates (say with the cyclos) before you get on. well, i did that and still my cyclo guy demanded a huge amount of usd for the three hours that i used him. not only that, he did this by leaving me, at dusk, at some market place, without me being very sure where my guesthouse was.

he had been so nice and insistent that i use him before that and he had a book with pics of other tourists recommending him. i was not the only one with stories like that.

maybe ask your hotel person to recommend guides or taximen with repute.

this happened in ho chi minh. the rest of the trip - hue, hoi an, hanoi was fine.

happy and safe travels
Sep 20th, 2005, 08:54 PM

I am living in Hanoi, Vietnam is very safe for traveller.you shouldnot bring cash, ATM is now popular everywhere in Hanoi, Hue, HCMC.
SAY NO, THANKS for some children follow you and ask for buying something and keep your pocket carefully.