Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Planning a trip to Vientnam, any suggestions.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the early stages of planning a trip to Vietnam. So far I know that I have to be at a freinds wedding in the last week of Dec 2005. So I am planning on maybe seeing Cambodia or some other place.
My question is, I had heard there are many discounted airlines in Asia like Southwest or easyjet. Does anyone know of any website.
Also, any reccomendations from experienced travelers. I can travel into any other country Bangkok, or Singapore or.... The goal is to see one other country besides Vietnam. The trip will probably be around Dec 20th through Jan 2nd. The goal is to save money and not overspend on transportations. My starting point is Philly.
Thanks
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 01:06 PM

Counting travel days- 3 - and allowing for at least one day of jet lag- you then have about 9 days left. I would suggest you just spend it in Vietnam- otherwise you will waste another day in travel and your costs will be that much higher.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 05:38 PM

Figure out what you are flying and decide your second country based on that. If you fly United it may have to be via Hong Kong. Limited airlines fly direct into Vietnam. Thai will be via Bangkok. SQ via Singapore, etc.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 05:39 PM

PLease advise yiour starting point for flt recos. For discount airlines google this site.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Hey Hobbes .
I will be flying out from Philly.
rrj8d
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 06:27 PM

Where is the wedding? In Vietnam? if so spend all your time there. 9 days is very little time.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 06:41 PM

I don't know that you can fly from the East Coast directly to Vietnam - if you can it will prob be a limited option. As I mentioned go to expedia or something and take a look at airlines which fly into Vietnam from Asian hubs such as Bangkok, Singapore, Hong Kong. Break up your journey into the leg from Philly to that city then from that city into Vietnam to figure out the best air fares and your itinerary.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 04:54 AM

Remember in Asia you need to take it slow! Gloria is a seasoned international traveler- if she advises spending all your time in Vietnam- you would be well served by heeding her advice!
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 05:09 PM

There is no direct flight from the US to Vietnam except from the West Coast by United. You can fly direct into Bangkok from JFK and then fly into Hanoi or Saigon by Vietnam or Thai Air.
Only Bangkok Air as mentioned from Bangkok to Siem Reap. Then Vietnam Air into Saigon.
With your time limit Vietnam would be the main part of your trip or a few days in Siem Reap or in Bangkok would be possible.
I don't think the cheaper flights you are wanting are out there.
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice guys. What I think I will end up doing is that I have to fly out pg Philly into either BangKok or SIngapore. I am going to spend a day or two ther and then go into Vietnam for the majoirty of the trip.
Quick question though. How much should I expect to pay for a cheap flight in December (I know it is peak season) for Singapore or Bangkok. Also, through what website should I buy the tickets from my landing pprt to Vientnam. Are there any orbitz type websites for asia.
Thanks
R
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 01:27 PM

The only airline I have flown to Bangkok from our area is Northwest nwa.com. I checked on their website and the price roundtrip is approx $1,400 in Jan. I have used the internet or called the airline to book my flights. Sure there are probably websites Such as orbitz, etc. you might check. I have never done it this way on my 3 trips. I have never flown to Singapore from the states so I cannot help you there. I really think going to Bangkok is your best buy. From Bangkok to Saigon on Vietnam Air around $300.00 roundtrip. There will only be a phone no. to book on their website Vietnam Air. Thai is usually a little more expensive.
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 02:31 PM

In addition to Vietnam and Lao air, these are some of the discount airlines that service the region.
Air Asia (FD) www.airasia.com
- Bangkok Airways (PG) www.bangkokair.com
- Orient Thai Airlines (OX) www.orient-thai.com
- Phuket Airlines (9R) www.phuketairlines.com
- Nok Air (DD) www.nokair.co.th

The only problem I'm finding is that some of them don't let you make reservations beyond the end of october or november right now. Since I feel more comfortable locking in my accommodations during the high season, we've decided to use the discovery pass from bangkok air which lets us book our december and january flights now. Bangkok Air also flies from Luang Prabang in Laos directly into Bangkok and this is on the discovery pass as well.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 12:56 AM

I can't tel you about airlines form the US but 3 yrs ago we flew from Australia to Ho Chi Ming City and returned via KL. Qantas also code shared with VA but if we booked it through Qantas, the international flights were more expensive - the thing to watch tho, is if you fly in with VA, the internal flights cost only a third of what it would be if we didn't use the national carriers. Perhaps you could get to KL or BKK from the States and then get the last leg on VA.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 04:15 PM

Can someone tell me what VA stands for? I'll be in Vietnam around that time also. Thank you.
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 07:53 PM

I will take a wild gess: VA stands for Vietnam Airline
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 08:03 PM
WSL

Actually, VN is Vietnam Airlines.
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 03:14 AM

hi

i live in this region and i dont think there are any budget airlines doing vietnam or cambodia yet. there is a budget airline called air asia, which mostly operates in malaysia but they do fly bangkok to singapore too. they are a ticketless airline and can be purchased via the internet. type airasia.com.my

other budget airlines silkair and valuair. i think silkair you can access via singapore airline website.

there is a website called www.chanbrothers.com that has cheap flights out of singapore.

hope this is useful.
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 09:34 AM

your best bet as far as price is to fly to either singapore or bangkok, then get a cheap flight to Ho chi Minh city. tiger air flies from singapore to HCM for cheap. Cneck out this website http://wikitravel.org/en/Discount_ai...esian_Citilink
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

I have finally gotten a good deal to fly into BKK. But I cant find any discounted airlines from Bangkok to Vietnam. DOes anyone have any suggestions. I have also emailed Eddie.
Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -