Luggage - carrying, checking, etc

Sep 8th, 2004, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Luggage - carrying, checking, etc

Going to Thailand in January for the first time, although my boyfriend was there many moons ago. I don't think I can pack 2 weeks of clothes in a carry on bag - and I sure as heck can't get everything I buy in there, too! I know that I can have purchases sent to my last hotel in BKK to hold for me. And my flights into/out of BKK don't worry me. But I wonder about the airports in Chaing Mai, Mai Sot and (maybe)Phuket. Is it crazy to check a bag when travelling to the smaller airports? He says he's heard horror stories of waiting for luggage. I haven't heard/seen any advice in any of the posts I've been reading. Any help out there? Worse comes to worse I'll take my carry on, pack a duffle in it, and buy another one as needed - and make him carry it ;-)
Sep 8th, 2004, 01:22 PM

Are you going to Bangkok at the beginning and end of the trip? If so, you can leave some of your luggage there and just take what you need for the other places. I always try to do that if I'm going to be in Thailand for a long time. Solves the luggage issue and also enables me to have clothes started at the beginning of the trip and have final fittings at end.

That said, I have often checked bags (usually because of shopping) and have never had a problem.

Also, the overhead in some of the planes can be on the small side so checking can become a necessity anyway.
Sep 8th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

We've got a couple of nights in BKK at either end, so that's covered. Thanx for the info on possibly smaller over-head compartments that I'm used to. What a pain it would be get everything in the carryon and then have to check it anyway!
Sep 8th, 2004, 01:57 PM

I shop a lot when I'm in SE Asia (I collect crafts). I check luggage on every flight, and I've never had a long wait or a lost bag in Thailand.
Sep 8th, 2004, 07:34 PM

I fly into Chiangmai all the time, sometimes from an origin in Thailand, more often from an international origin. I have never had a problem with a bag arriving and have never had to wait more than a few minutes; normally much faster than Bangkok.

I have lost luggage on two occasions, once on transiting Singapore and once transiting Hong Kong. On both occasions, the luggage turned up within 24 hours. It does pay to have a change of clothes in you carry on luggage.

Sep 8th, 2004, 07:45 PM

We had a question about the same kind of thing. When I read on the Thai Air web site that we can only have 40lbs of luggage each, now that is probably fine on the flight to BKK but im sure that on the way home my wife is going to bring a ton of crap!!!!! So how strict are they on the weight limit? thanks
Sep 9th, 2004, 06:08 AM
sandi

We were also limited to 40-lbs for the Trans-Pacific Flights. We have no idea what our limited were within Thailand as we took the same luggage to Chaing Mai, return from Chiang Rai and onto Phuket and back to BKK and naturally along the way we added to the original weight with souvenirs. Our bags were always checked, and always arrived at our destination - sometimes the first off the carousel, sometimes a bit longer, but never were our bags lost.

Sep 9th, 2004, 06:46 AM

I usually take one carry-on size suitcase and a big fold-up carry-on bag...preferebly Kipling (they are very sturdy and fold down very easily) that I can put inside of the outer zip pocket of the suitcase. Then when I start to buy stuff, I can use the carry-on bag and check the suitcase. I have never had lost luggage within Southeast Asia...but have had plenty of lost luggage between L.A. and Europe.Also, I have always retrieved my luggage in a short amount of time. If I've gotten to the point where I have checked the suitcase in and am using the carry-on bag, then I pack enough clothes for 2 days in the carry-on bag in case the suitcase is lost for a while. And I always pack disposible briefs...they come 5 pairs to a small package.You don't need a lot of clothes for Southeast Asia. Plus clothing is quite reasonable there so you can buy some pieces of clothing while there if you need extra pieces. I buy beautiful pieces of fabric and tie it into a sarong style to make skirts...then just add a crisp linen or cotton shirt, throw on a pair of mule-style shoes and you're all set.Happy Travels!
Sep 9th, 2004, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses. My sweetie will stick with his faithful carry-on, but now I won't feel like I'm going to slow us down much by checking a suitcase. I find that even the lightest carryon seems to get heavier the more you lug it around the airport!