Luang Prabang hotel decision

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm working on flights thanks to rhkkmk's suggestions. Now choosing between 3 hotels inLP: Le Residence Phou Vao, The Grand Luang Prabang and Villa Santi. We like small, personal hotels with friendly staff, beautiful surroundings and respect for local materials. Suggestions?
Thanks
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 12:17 PM

Well, I thought the Phou Vao was fabulous. I recommend it to my friends traveling to LP. It's on the edge of town, which is much better than the farther out resorts like the Grand and the Villla Santi Resort. The rooms at the Phou Vao are really lovely with dark wood floors, beds hung with netting, big balconies and a huge, beautiful bathroom. There are local crafts displayed beautifully. The food at the restaurant is also excellent, probably the best we ate in LP. There is a lovely infinity pool overlooking the town.

The Villa Santi in town gets mixed reviews. For the price, I understand the rooms are not great and the description I've heard of the bathrooms is rather grim. There are apparently rooms in two different buildings in town, and unless they've been entirely redone lately, I wouldn't recommend staying there. On the other hand, I do highly recommedn eating there. We had a number of long, leisurely lunches on the balcony overlooking the street.
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 04:10 PM
CFW

We liked the convenience and atmosphere of being in town. Check out the Maison Souvannaphoum & also 3 Nagas. No matter where you stay, the 3 Nagas restaurant is excellent.
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 07:01 PM

the grand and villa santi resort are right next to each other quite a ways out of town and the villa santi is down a dirt bumpy road...the grand has no pool and gets only so so marks....the rooms at villa santi are smallish and dark...

we stayed at pansea phou vao and thought it was the best available....the maison is the closest to town....craig is staying there now and will give us his indepth report soon....really right in town...

everything about the pansea is perfect...the location, staff, pool, food and rooms....we would stay there again in a minute....book very very early as rooms are hard to come by...craig for instance was unable to secure a room there even 8 months in advance...
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to Kathie, CFW and RHKKMK for your thoughts and recs. I pick the PV for LP. I'll contact them right away since Christmas time will book up fast. It looks like the only way to get to LP is via Vientiane or Hanoi, is that correct?
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 11:21 PM

I am in LP now, staying at the Maison Souvannaphoum - very nice, but not 5*. Great location and wonderful restaurant. Would highly recommend in Phou Vao does not work out.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 04:41 AM

Bangkok to LP is a direct flight, think there is now one from Singapore as well.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 06:07 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I stayed at the Villa Santi Resort several years ago and loved it. Our room was a good size and was actually very bright, with a nice balcony. (what room did they show you Bob???) It's about a 15 minute ride from town but I found it to be a nice ride and would stay there again.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 08:54 AM

Bangkok Air has daily non-stops from Bangkok. Unless it's changed, Silk Air has a flight from Singapore, but only two or three times a week.