Low Cost Airlines

Search

Low Cost Airlines

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2011, 04:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Low Cost Airlines

BKK Air has told me via email that I cannot use the Discovery AirPass for flights to Krabi. I'm trying to compare costs if we use low cost airlines for each of our legs instead of using the pass. I'm having trouble finding any low cost flights between BKK and Siem Reap (SR) and SR and Luang Prabang.

Air Asia seems to have some good fares BKK to Krabi and BKK to Hanoi.

Any suggestions for getting some decent fares on flights? Thanks!
Old May 29th, 2011, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are no low cost flights between Bangkok and Siem Reap - Indeed, Bangkok Air is the only carrier. There likewise are no low cost carriers between Siem Reap and Luang Prabang. Air Asia is the low cost carrier in the area, but it doesn't fly everywhere, and if you aren't flying point to point, it's a bit of a hassle. That said, other than a few expensive flights (BKK-REP, etc) most flights in SE Asia, even on full service airlines are pretty reasonable.

Compare prices. Generally, if you are going to Siem Reap and LP, it pays to use the Discovery pass. Some people have even found it's less expensive to toss the third flight coupon. Bangkok Air also doesn't fly everywhere. I expect you'll need to use at least a couple of different airlines in SE Asia.
Old May 29th, 2011, 11:01 AM

Kathie very useful comments thanks
Old May 29th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks, Kathie -- good idea to consider using the Discovery Pass for Bkk_SP & SR_LP and then picking a third and dropping that segment with the Discovery Pass. I'll have to cost out the various options.

Air Asia has a cheap flight from BKK to Hanoi. I will look for other possibilities using them.
Old May 29th, 2011, 07:51 PM

if you drop a segment just make it your last segment so as not to have the rest of your flts cancelled
Old May 29th, 2011, 08:00 PM

When I was looking at travelling from Bangkok to Siem Reap a few years ago, It was actually cheaper to fly Air Asia to Singapore and then on Jetstar from Singapore to Siem Reap. It all became either too hard or too expensive and we decided to add more time in Thailand.

I was hoping that by our next trip that this sector would have opened up to some more reasonably priced carriers but it seems this is still not the case. In this day and age, to spend a minimum of 40,000 baht for a family of 4 to fly a little over an hour away, in Asia, is just too steep, regardless of baggage allowances or complimentary cakes and coffee.
Old May 30th, 2011, 09:10 AM

Shank, unfortunately, I think you're right - there's been no movement toward low-cost flights into SR from BKK and VN. our flight from Saigon cost about $170ppUSD one way We did fly OUT of SR to Kuala Lumpur on Air Asia ( we were heading to Hong Kong, but direct flts were $$$$$) and that was MUCH less expensive.
Old May 30th, 2011, 11:00 AM

It's time vs.money. If you have the time you can fly BKK - KL - REP and reverse on Air Asia, but you have to allow several hours between flights, as you have to pick up your luggage, go through customs and immigration, check back in at the Air Asia counter, and go back through passport control.

If you want a convenient non-stop flight they are expensive!