Trip to Angor Wat, Then Laos -- Best Travel Route

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2006, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are hoping to start our trip with a few days in Siem Reap/Angkor Wat and then head to Luang Prabang...possibly then on to Vietiane. Between Siem Reap and Luang, we only have 1 or 2 days that we can travel. Is this only doable through Bangkok? If we must fly back and forth through Bangkok....would the Airpass save us money? There is no time to spend in Bangkok between the two destinations, and we have already visited Bangkok twice in the last few years. So we are trying to find the easiest & quickest way to travel between Siem Reap and Luang Prabang. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 03:04 PM

You can fly between Siem Reap and Vientiane on Lao Airways. They also then between Vientiane and Luang Prabang.
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 07:40 PM

you will save quite a bit on $$ using the air pass with bkk air if you double back through bkk....don't book the flights too close together because the flights are late quite often...

how are you getting to the first destination...that would guide how i would make the on going flights...so if it is from bkk then i would do it all through bkk...you may save as much as 30-40%
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 08:29 PM

If you are able to go to Vientiane first and then on to Luang Prabang you can fly on Lao Airlines (wed, fri, sat, sun) directly from Siem Reap to Vientiane. Then by Lao onward to LP. However note that at lest one night is required in the capital due to flight connection times. Cost wise it would be $190 (130 + $60).

Going via Bangkok with Bangkok Air you would leave at 9.30am, arrive BK at 10.20 and catch the 11.30 flight to LP. Normal fare around $293 (142 + 151) and using the Discovery Pass $234 (117 + 117)

Depending where you are flying into SR from and flying out of LP to, you could also save by using the pass
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 04:54 AM

I believe that there are now direct flights on Bangkok Air between Siem Reap and Luang Prabang during high season (winter). Sorry I don't have more details, but I did see several ads about this while I was in LP.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

Everyone has been very helpful, but would it be better for us to fly to Vietnam (Hanoi or Saigon) instead of Bangkok? Are there any direct flights to Siem Reap and Luang Prabang from either of these destinations? Would like to see a different part of Asia and cut down on some travel time.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 06:36 PM

FYI, a partial reply to your question about whether there are direct flights between Hanoi and Siem Reap.

We are booked later this summer on a Vietnam Airlines flight from Hanoi to SR. It's a short non-stop afternoon flight of 1 hour 55 minutes. The craft is an Airbus A320.

Perhaps someone else can reply about whether there are any Saigon-SR direct flights.

Good luck.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 06:42 PM

There are daily flights from HCMC to Siem Reap. I understand the Hanoi-SR flights are not every day (at least my friend couldn't book it any of the days she wanted to travel - perhaps it's seasonal). I'm not sure about flights to LP from anywhere in VN. There are many more flights from Bangkok to SR (5 a day) than from anywhere else.