Lop Buri

Sep 15th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

Lop Buri

Any opinions on how long should be allocated to Lop Buri? We are considering stopping there to or from Bangkok/Chaing Mai.
Sep 15th, 2008, 06:36 PM

Assuming you're interested enough in ancient temples to warrant stopping here at all, I would give it most of a day - it would be a good place to stop over night. The temple ruins, palace and museum would take around half a day.

If coming from Bangkok, you'll want to get an early start and stop at the Buddha Footprint temple in Saraburi on the way, then, depending on the time of year, you may also want to take in the sunflowers in the valley between the temple and Lopburi. That would put you into Lopburi in the afternoon.

Coming from Chiang Mai, you would stop in Lopburi first, then see the flowers and temple on your way to Bangkok.
Sep 15th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

We were actually thinking of taking the overnight train to Chiang Mai after spending the day here, but we weren't sure if there was enough to warrant 1/2 day. Thanks for your reply. I hadn't heard of the Buddha Footprint temple in Saraburi. Will have to look into that. Thanks.
Sep 15th, 2008, 08:51 PM

Well, for me, the temple is one of those 'not to be missed' sights in Thailand - and one that because of it's somewhat remote location is rarely visited by foreign tourists.
Sep 15th, 2008, 10:34 PM

Glad for this topic coz I have been researching Lopburi recently for my Dec Bangkok trip!

Since it is the season, I'd really like to go see the sunflower fields.

Some Thai friends had told me it is a viable day-trip. Plus we really love flower fields (tulips in Holland, lavender in Hokkaido...)

Anyway I have contacted Tong who says she can provide driver/guide if I want to go to Lopburi for a day tour but she couldn't suggest an itinerary.

So MichaelBKK - could you help me out with a do-able day trip plan from Bangkok?

We go straight to the Buddha footprint temple (and what palace and museum are you inferring to?)

And then to the sunflower fields (which exact location? or do we cruise through a few?) and then?

I've read that there is a huge Dam there and waterfalls but I'm not keen to take a bunch of family there - they're likely not interested anyway.

Dairy farm? Winery? Are they worth a look? Where to stop for lunch?

I'd really really love some pointers from you!

What a great post for me, thanks dgunbug!
Sep 16th, 2008, 08:23 AM

Ooookay, here goes:

From Bangkok, the first place you'll come to is the Footprint temple. Assuming you leave Bangkok before 8:00 am you should get there by 10-ish. I would give yourself a couple hours here. Be sure to climb up the hill behind the footprint pavilion (the mondop in Bangkok's grand palace is a copy of the pavilion sheltering the footprint).

From the temple, you head towards Lopburi town. The sunflowers are about halfway between the temple and Lopburi. They're actually off the road that leads from the main highway to the dam your friends spoke off. On the main road, near the intersection, there are a number of large roadside eateries where you can get a good meal. If you're making good time, go see the sunflowers first. Otherwise, eat first, then find the sunflowers.

I went with a Thai friend, who had never been there either, and we didn't have any problem finding the fields. You do drive down the road a bit and then pull off into the fields. The ones that are open to the public are well signed.

Now, if you want to go on to Lopburi, there are a number of things to see, depending on your interests. The first place you'll come to from this direction is the San Phra Karn shrine, built on the remains of a 6th century temple, which is in the middle of a traffic circle. It used to be over-run with monkeys, but on my last visit they had moved across the railroad tracks to the Prang Sam Yod temple, a 13th century shrine founded by King Jayavarman VII of Angkor. The monkeys are VERY naughty here. Watch your belongings. Don't bring food.

Another ancient temple in town is Wat Phra Si Rattana Mahathat. Then there is the remains of King Narai's palace. King Rama IV rebuilt part of the palace in the 19th century, and that building is now a national museum.

There's a few more things you can see in Lopburi, but really, if you want to do the temple and the sunflowers, you probably will already have a pretty full day. I'd pick just a couple of sights that sound the most interesting to you.
Sep 16th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Michael - Thank you for all your info. Unfortunately for us, we will be there in early February and will miss the sunflowers. Since we will be traveling on our own without a guide - on our way to Chiang Mai, we will need to leave our bags while touring. Do you know if the train stations have storage? I haven't checked, but is Saraburi on the train route? Janna - lucky you to get the flowers.
Sep 16th, 2008, 09:09 AM

Michael, thanks for your response. Appreciate the details alot! I think I may just do this instead of doing the floating market.

The sunflower fields - do we need to pay entrance fees? Could we walk right into the midst of the fields?

Another thing - is there any half-interesting stop between Bangkok and Saraburi for us to break the 2-hour journey? Did YOU stop anywhere on your way there/back?

dgunbug - I heard that the sunflower season is nov-jan; maybe in early february, you could still see some?
Sep 16th, 2008, 11:13 AM

I don't know if this would be of any help, but the tour that my daughter and I went on in 2004 stopped in Saraburi, Lopburi and at Wat Phra Si Rattana Mahathat.

Here are the pages from my website chronicling those locations (7/28 & 7/29) - http://homepage.smc.edu/louff%5Fjudy...ailand7_28.htm
Sep 16th, 2008, 05:05 PM

I don't recall paying anything to see the sunflower fields, but that may just mean it was something nominal like 20 Baht.

I didn't stop anywhere on the way there or back. It's a wide superhighway all the way to Saraburi, and there's not really anyplace to stop that's not well off the route.