Search

BKK, Chiang Mai etc itinerary opinions please

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2005, 12:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BKK, Chiang Mai etc itinerary opinions please

Hello all
Below are the things that i have come up with for my two week trip to Thailand and Singapore (not till November but have been planning for ages) anyway with a mixture of Internet research and great responses from Fodorites this is what i have come up with. Opinions would be greatly received
Bkk
late a/noon arrival Orinetal - shower, head off to Sky bar at the state tower for a sunset drink then thinking of maybe going over to Sukhmvit area??
Day 2 early up River boat to GP, then Wat Pho (maybe a massage!!!!) China town (dim sum lunch) wonder round there, Golden Buddha and if time and not to exhausted Marble Temple Dinner at Sala rim- fall into bed EXHAUSTED
Day 3 CM- arrive lunchtime wonder round the city, Night Bazar
Day 4 - All day cookery class booked evening Loy K festivities
Day 5 - Poon booked have asked if we can do:
Elephants, waterfalls! not too touristy local crafts and Doi Suthep temple.
Day 6-8 Singapore - have been a few times it will be my BF's first time so am going to show him the sights (Night Safari etc) but also relax a bit (and maybe dodge the rain!!) have sprung for Raffles (to keep him pleased)
Days 9-13 Relax beach resort Krabi, couple of trips maybe Phi Phi etc
Day 14 arrive Bkk 11am - booked the Pen, thinking of doing a river trip and visit Wat Arun, want to go to the Night Bazar i notice Gloriaf mentioned if you have been to the one in CM then maybe not bother!! but i also notice on Nancy chandlers updates that the NB and Puppet show are closing in Feb to make way for a MALL!!!!Drinks at Moon Bar, Dinner???
Day 15 Lunchtime flight back to Blighty...

OK SORRY for the really long post but have gotten some brillaint advice off you guys so far and wonder what you think. I know the first few days are mad but each time i go to Asia i try to hit the ground running (also my time diff is not as large as yours coming from the UK (12 hrs)and hopefully we will sleep on the plane (got 2 4 1 Bus class!!! new Eva air planes!!!) If you really feel i have missed a to die for site let me know.. (i have been to BK before again only briefly so have done CC market and Siam square etc) my BF does NOT want to go to JT house i do so i may try and squeeze it in somewhere whilst he relaxes.
Jane
X

Old Sep 10th, 2005, 03:17 AM

I happen to prefer the night bazaar at Suanlum in BKK over walking the night market street in CM. I always "do" both, but prefer one over the other, so if I were you, I would not skip Suanlum.

Your schedule looks pretty well planned out. I usually do not go into that detail with a trip plan. But that's just me. Many others on this forum plan everyday so you are not alone. In fact, you are probably in the majority, and I am in the minority preferring to "go with the flow" once I arrive someplace.

Have a great time on your trip. I'm heading to Bangkok and Phuket in about 10 days. Can't wait!!

Carol
Old Sep 10th, 2005, 05:31 AM

If I were you I would just do the temple of the emerald buddha/grand palace on your second day in Bangkok on your second day and do a klong tour with wat arun instead of the other temples. The temples will all merge together and the heat and humidity will really take a toll. Also, you are staying in the Oriental which is a fabulous place -- make sure you have some time to enjoy the atmosphere of the hotel.

I would do Wat Po and/or Marble Temple when you come back to Bangkok.

On your first night after the sky bar I would have dinner on the river at the Oriental -- it is magical.

I'd consider going to Bed Supper Club on your last night.

I'd also skip the dinner at sala rim and have dinner instead at either China House (for the best peking duck in the world) or Lord Jim at the oriental.

Old Sep 10th, 2005, 08:48 PM

the bkk nite market is much different than other markets in thailand....it is really geared to tourists in the best sense....it is easy to shop and in nice surroundings and they have most every kind of thai wear that you might want....easy shopping...probably not the cheapest but still relative...a must do!!!
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 12:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Guys i was hoping you would say that about BKK NB so i will do both 4 sure.
Mmm maybe i do need to rethink all those temples, am sure temple fatigue will set in..

Think we may check out Bed as it seems to get lots of comments...
Overall i am going to take with me all your advice but still try and be flexible as this is of course a holiday not a military operation (although with all my schedules my bf is not so sure!!!)

Carol hope you have a fab time, will you be doing a trip report when you get back?
Jane
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 05:26 AM

Smeagol-- I think whether the night market in Bangkok works for you depends on what kind of things you are looking for and what kind of atmosphere you like. As Bob said this night market is very much set up for tourists and thus is clean, cool and easy to navigate. I found it to have more of a mall than a market feel which is why I didn't like it. I also thought the products were more souvenir like and I tend to loook for unusual and high quality crafts or antiques which weren't there in any abundance.
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

GloriaF I will be looking for something more authentic Thai than tourity souveneir type. Do you have any suggestions where i may get some art? either in Cm or BKK? (am very much into buddhism and the spiritual side of things) although am really just looking for something not mass produced maybe a local artist.... Was also hoping top find some interesting pieces maybe antique or even furniture (although i did read somewhere about wood splitting) I bought a great wooden buddha carving back from Singapore and initially it went a bit mouldy when it dried out but it is actually ok now
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 07:26 AM

In Chiang Mai there are some excellent and unique crafts. One of my favorite is Sop Moie for textiles and baskets which is near Baan Orapin. There are also some wonderful high end craft stores on and around Nimmanhaemin Soi and Nantawan Arcade near the Rincome Hotel. Here you will find items that are not mass produced. There is also gorgeous celadon in Chiang Mai.

In Bangkok, since you have limited time and are staying at the Oriental and the Peninsula I would go to River City and Oriental Place for antiques.You won't get a bargain but you'll get the real thing and will find stores that have products that a. The Emporium also has a floor that has some very high end thai crafts.

I felt the stuff in the Bangkok night market were largely mass produced items.
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Gloria
Thanks, this is brilliant will cut and paste your info onto my many pages of info gleaned and take them with me. Will let you know if i find some lovely treasures...
Thanks again everyone for your help and advice.
X
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 06:07 AM

Smeagol
I usually do an "on the trip" report each day, as I will have free wifi in my hotel lobby. I always carry my laptop with me. In the morning, I sit with my cup of coffee and type my report on fodors.com!

One of our many Thai friends has two antique shops at the River City mall. His name is Friday. I am sure he sells only authentic items. Beware that there are copies!! (even in River City)

Do enjoy your trip!

Carol