Looking for contrast, input please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have all been so helpful in my planning process--a million thanks ahead of giving you even more "problems" to solve.

We have a 16-day (not including travel) trip planned to Thailand. We'll have just 1 night in Bangkok on the front end (staying at the Penninsula, I think), followed by 6-nights at Le Meridian (Relax Bay) in Phuket. Before rounding the trip off with 5 nights in Bangkok (Grande Majestic, for better pricing this time) we have 4-nights we'd like to spend somewhere a little more intimate. I was thinking Phi Phi, Krabi or perhaps Railey, but I'm looking for additional options from this board.

Criteria we're hoping to find. Somewhere a little more secluded but with access to some restaurants or some sort of town (via tuk tuk, longtail boat or taxi--by access, I mean within 10 minutes by one of these means). Would love a bungalow, but at least a smaller hotel (everywhere else is so BIG). We'd like it to be in driving/boating distance of Phuket, don't want to hop on another plane. Our budget is about $100/night. We'll be going towards the end of November, so we realize that puts us squarely in mid-range, nothing too snazzy. Gorgeous views of the water and/or surrounding island, on the beach or a short walk to it. Beach should be enjoyable--not too rocky. Something a little less touristy, a little more Thai.

Activity-wise, we snorkel, kayak, swim, sail, love the water. Love to eat, people watch, dance, karaoke, golf and make sand angels. Of course, we don't need to do all of these activities.

Am I dreaming, or is there some place a little off the beaten path that would suit our needs? Any favorite locations you fodorites have been?

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 11:41 PM

Have stayed at Le Meridien relax bay twice and loved it. As a contrast I would spend four days somewhere in Phi phi which is a ferry ride away. Railey has stunning scenery but for something a bit quieter try the Phi Phi island Village. It is however more isolated than you may want. It will be a nice contrast after the sensory overload of Bangkok and Phuket. Otherwise about 1 hour north of Phuket is Khoa Lak which is another nice beach area but a bit quieter. it is opposite the Simillian Islands which are well known for great snorkling and diving. I think inland you can also do rafting. There is another Le Merdien up this way or a the new Sarijon Resort and Spa or plenty more. Hope this helps.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 04:44 AM

Hello - everywhere is so BIG because those are the parameters you have fed to your travel agent, or used when searching online.

If you want small and lux they may be off the radar of both.

What you are really saying is that you want an undiscovered gem. And the only way to find those is to discover them yourself.

Well, maybe not in the lux department!!

Suggest lowering your standards - forgo the matching bedspreads, and totally subjective tour desk - just get on a bus and go. Find a hostelry when you get wherever you are going. You might be pleasantly surprised.

It's SE Asia, after all, and that's how it works. Also just pitching up means you will most likely stay in a locally owned and operated place instead of somewhere that pretends to be 'authentic' but is just part of a global chain.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 05:49 AM

If you are looking for contrast, let me suggest you not choose a beach area. Beaches at the Phuket side at that time of the year are pricey, and while you can find little places in your price range you really have the option of a more populated area (at least populated by resorts) or a more remote place that has no other options for restaurants.

For something a little more Thai, go to Northern Thailand. You can find interesting accommodations in your price range with lots of interesting activities nearby.

Unless you are interested in staying at a guesthouse, I wouldn't recommend showing up without reservations. In the price range your talking about, many places will be sold out at the end of November, and if they do have rooms available they will be much more costly than had you reserved in advance.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input. I've considered the Phi Phi islands, but am afraid it's too touristy/campy and could be visited on a day trip from Phuket.

I did further look into Railey and Khao Lak, however, and Khao Lak looks almost idea. Have you been to the town of Khao Lak...what I'm looking for in a town is a center with a few restaurants, not necessarily something with tourist shops selling fake Ray-bans and t-shirts. Railey is more touristy than Tong Sai beach in Phi Phi?

Kathie, when you suggested trying "north", can you be more specific. Do you mean north as in north of Phuket island, or north as in Cambodian border?
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 07:48 AM

When I said north, I meant Chaing Mai or Chaing Rai or Mae Hong Son. I was offering a really different suggestion from another beach stay. You could hike, visit an elephant camp, visit craft villages or hilltribes - it would be very different from a beach location, but it may not be what you are interested in. The beaches just don't give much exposure to the culture of Thailand.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 07:52 AM

There are plenty of places ideal for those 4 nights, but a lot of your critear cancel eachother out.
Your budget end November of USD 100 puts many suggestions right out of range pricewise.
If you want a place mote Thai and less touristy, but you want dance and restaurants.
One very nice island is Koh Yao, short boat ride from Phuket, but it is very very quiet indeed. Khao lak is an option but if you want the restaurants then you are going to have the souvenir shops, tailor shops and stuff.
There are of course plenty of places in Thailand that have great places to eat, local life etc and these are where most Thais themselves head for, but they aren't in The Phuket area.

I think yuo should think about Khao Lak but also note that krabi is a province, not a town. Ao nang is the very tourist area of Krabi, railey is a nice beach. Perhaps Koh lanta Island.

Koh Yao is very much a relex tropical island paradise but you won't get the restaurants or other activities.

le merieidne at relax is superb so that's a good choice, you are close to Phuket's liveliest tourist area patong, plenty of shops, McD, dance, nightlife, bars and restaurants.

Kathie was meaning to venture to other parts of Thailand, Chiang mai, Chiang rai, mae Hong son or perhaps Isan, but these mean 2 flights from Phuket to get there.

You need to think about Phi Phi, krabi area, Koh Yao, Khao lak.
The more criteria you put in unfortunately the more possibles you cancel out.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 07:58 AM

If you are looking for somewhere less developed but still on a beach, try Ko Lanta - v beautiful. Check out this website: http://www.kolanta.net/

If you want to explore Thailand a little more, then Kathie's suggestion to fly north is a good one. Consider Chiang Mai - lots of places within your price range or even less which would give you a little bit more to spend elsewhere.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. You are all continually helpful and such a wonderful wealth of knowledge.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 09:44 AM

ya I also have been having a hard time trying to figure out how to help. as james said your criteria cancel each other out.

I'm not to sure you want "a little more thai" Thais seem to enjoy having a good time when on vacation. just like us latinos they seem not to be keen on the whole relaxing thing. when it comes to beach going for Thais it's about eating, drinking, listing to some loud music. (possibly bringing along some instruments) and taking a ride on the banana boat

I personally think going to the north or at least kanchanaburi, Ayutayaa etc would give you a good well rounded view of thailand. but if you prefer the beach maybe making your way up to bkk and stopping in veriouse towns and secluded beaches would be cool. but that would a bit of transportation logistics.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 07:52 PM

anything that james suggests is usually perfect...at least he has scored 100% for us in mid range places...