Thailand Islands

Search

Thailand Islands

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thailand Islands

I will be visiting Thailand in January and I was wondering which island would be better to visit. We are between Ko phi phi or Koh Samui. Any suggestions?
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 04:55 PM

In my opinion there is more to do on Koh Samui. You might have better weather on Phi Phi though. How long will you visit? Is it possible to do both of the islands? Will you take time to visit Bangkok as well? It is such an amazing place, you really should not skip it, if possible.

Phuket has wonderful weather in January and has plenty to do. Tourist numbers are down, so you might be able to get a very nice place for a little less than the usual peak season rates. I'm on my way to Phuket in a matter of hours (I'm staying in BKK right now, on vacation) and am anxious to see how the island looks after the tsunami. I've been there three times before. I've also been to Samui and Phi Phi.

Carol
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

I definetely will be going to bangkok and we were thinking about going to phuket too, but I think we just want to visit one of the islands. We are just looking to relax and spend most of our time on the beach. So which ever island is best for that. We want to stay for about 5-7 days on the island. any more suggestions you have would be great!
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 05:57 AM

Phi-Phi Don Island was severely damaged by Tsunami and hundreds of western vacationer were killed and missing there on the famous twin bays. Phi-Phi Ley Island (location of the film "the Beach" was safe due to its curtain-formation of cliffs. However, it is Marine National Park and no accommodation is allowed. You have to stay on Phi-Phi Don any way. I read that searching for bodies are still carried on around those twin bays. So, just let it renovated and we forget the tragedy first, I think.

Ko Samui can be the next best choice. There are many nice outlying islands that worst-visiting too. However, islands in the Gulf of Thailand could not match those in Andaman sea; with its turquoise sea and white sand.

Why not Ko Ngai (Ko Hai) island in another seaside town; Trang ? You can search from google by its word " Ko Ngai or Ko Hai. There are two paradise on earth resorts there; Ko Hai Fantasy Resort and Ko Ngai Resort. See them first before making decision. Its thread is that the island is quite secluded and it will be a true relax only with sea and sand and some nice trips to Emerald Cave (sea cave that you have to swim in to find a logoon inside) or the beautiful Ko Kradan; the location of underwater wedding ceremony on Valentine's day every year.
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 11:13 AM

Phuket/Phi Phi/Krabi area has good weather at that time, hotels are reporting 'very heavy bookings' for the high season and it looks like occupancy will be as high as usual.

Actual rainfall for Jan on Samui and Phuket is about identical.

Phi Phi is of course far far smaller than Samui or Phuket, some of the resorts are quiet whilst others are busy, it gets lots of day trippers from Phuket. The area around krabi is nice and for a quieter island Koh Lanta. There are far far more activities on Samui than Phi Phi, that is good or bad depending whatb type of island you want.

Flights to Phuket are overall a lot cheaper as so many airlines on the route including budget carriers.