Le Meridien Beach club Phuket

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for a luxury resort on Phuket over christmas 2 adults 2 children aged 10 & 13 dont want to be too far away from shopping and restaurants but i'm really fussy about my accomodation dont want anything dated or grotty bathrooms YUK!! has anyone stayed here since it reopened in August and can anyone tell me what oceanview rooms are like?
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 05:50 PM

We have stayed there twice before the tsumani. It was lovely, very clean, and lots of good stuff for kids. The oceanview rooms are fine but the pool area is between the rooms and the beach. The biggest pools we have ever seen. We would always return to this fine hotel whenever we go to Phuket.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 05:51 PM

when i drove past in june it looked very old and sad!!!
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 08:16 PM

I just drove past the place the day before yesterday. I'd say they are probably done with refurbishment. We did not stop to have a look, but I have stopped there before, a few years ago, for lunch, and thought it looked very nice.

I just stayed at the Katathani on Kata Noi beach for a couple of days. It was really really nice. We had a lovely time there, staying in junior suites, which were very comfortable. You might want to take a look at Kata Thani on the internet. I know that JamesA recommended it to Bob and Karen, as a second choice for them, when they traveled to Phuket this past May.

Kata Thani has three large pools, plus jaccuzzis, kid pools, very nice beach front (larger than Meridien I think) and mostly private because there are no other resorts on Kata Noi that are back in business yet, that I could see. There is a lot of construction going on though. We were there at off season so it was not too crowded at all. There are a number of restaurants, plus a great breakfast buffet with lots of variety. Shopping is just up the hill and back down, to Kata Beach. I would not bother with Patong with two children in tow. I got tired of the touts very quickly and was so glad we were not at Patong for more than about 1 1/2 hours on our little island trip with a driver for a day.

Carol
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 09:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info everyone!!
It would be great to hear from someone whos had a look inside (espechially if they have seen the ocean view rooms)
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 11:21 PM

I have not been inside since the refurbishment but I 'think' they have refurbished only certain floors, whatever it has a superb location in it's own cove with very large poos/pool area and the beach is good, plus Meridien standards of service and very good restaurants. The meridien and the Kata Thani are 2 of the best.

Do note that the rates over Christmas are quite high, I would not delay booking.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 11:23 PM

Meridien has a kids club and the layout of the beach and pools means it is easy to keep an eye on them. Meridien's overall operate to a high standard.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 08:09 PM

Katathani also has a lot of kids activities. I noted a big board by one of the pools with a schedule of things to do (and this was during the off season, so I'm sure peak season is just as good or better for the kids).