laundry while traveling in Japan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2023, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I will be traveling in Japan with my two sons for about a week. We don't want to carry a week's worth of everybody's clothes but not sure how we can wash clothes while there. Do most hotels have washer/dryer in a common area? Do you wash in the bathroom sink and hang in the tub? Do we have to bring a rope to hang clothes? Would hotels be OK with that? But we'll be moving from place to place/hotel to hotel - that means we may not have enough time for the hanged clothes to dry. Are there many coin laundry places around? We are not that familiar with Japan or traveling in general. We'll be there in June/July so clothes won't be bulky but we would definitely want to change every day because of the humidity/heat. We'll be in Fukuoka and other Kyushu areas. If you could give us an idea of how you would handle this or would have handled this, and what (if anything) I should bring to make it work that would be great. Thank you!
Old Jun 11th, 2023, 01:16 PM

Please do not do the washing and drying in your room.
If your hotel is a 3*, or the so-called business hotel, then most likely it has coin-laundry on the premises. Look at the hotel's pictures on Google, or on its own website. If washer/dryer are provided you may see pictures of them. Or email the hotel to ask.

4* and 5* hotels seldom have coin-operated washer/dryer on the premises.

If your hotel does not have washer/dryer for guest use, then try to find a coin-laundry near your hotel. Say, if your hotel is near Fukuoka train station, then Google "coin laundry near xxxxx" where you subsititue xxxx with "Fukuoka train station" to find coin laundry near your hotel on Google Maps. Look at each business' pictures and read reviews. You want to find one that has multiple machines, has WIFI, looks well maintained, and is easy to walk to from your hotel.

Last edited by Reading54; Jun 11th, 2023 at 01:20 PM.
Old Jun 11th, 2023, 01:41 PM

Try to find those hotels with a washer/dryer on premises. At least in Tokyo and Kyoto, many hotels seem to have them. The lighter you pack, the easier the travel. (But maybe bring an empty duffel to bring back shopping at end of trip.) In Japan now, and the washer/dryers we've had in our hotel rooms seemed to have taken longer than American models. (These are in apartment hotels, b/c we're a large group.) We wash/dry at night, but it takes an hour-90 min, so it is time away from your vacation. If you have a couple nights in one place, you can wash underpants in sink, wring out well, and let dry on towel rack or in closet on a hanger in closet, but that won't work for socks, tees and pants/shorts. So humid, even with air conditioning, they don't dry overnight.

Many hotels provide pajamas, so you might get away with not wearing your own every night, saving on things to wash. If you can double up on swim cover-up/pajama, I've done that on trips.

Also, hiking pants/parachute pant materials have been great. Relatively wrinkle and stain proof, and they dry quickly. Cotton knit tees don't seem to dry fast here. Maybe look for athletic, wicking fabrics.

For 1 week, you shouldn't have to carry much. I've been here 2 weeks with a carryon and backpack (for my laptop, family ipad, and purse), and been fine with 2 hiking pants, 3 tees, 1 summer sweater, a crushable rain jacket, swim coverup (which doubles as a nightgown when pjs not provided), 3 pairs socks, 1 pair of waterproof walking shoe, and underwear. Coordinate colors so you can mix/match. A scarf/necklace will help you feel put together with little bulk. Packing cubes are great. A small umbrella is important--hotels have complimentary, long ones that are a pain to carry. Razors, toothbrushes/toothpaste are often complimentary at hotels. Travel-size and down-size lotions, etc. But bring your bandaids, aspirins, extra contact lenses, etc., b/c those aren't fun to shop for when needed.

Do bring an extra bag for last-minute shopping that won't fit in your suitcase going home. A lightweight duffle sort of thing is great. You can buy one in Japan at muji for a small amount.

Good luck with your planning, and have fun. Japan is great!
Old Jun 12th, 2023, 12:05 PM

If the hotel doesn't have a coin laundry room for guests then they should be able to direct you to a laundromat. It would be 'koin randori' in Japanese, though 'coin laundry' would probably be understood.

You might find a washer and dryer in one unit. I was puzzled when using one of these in Takayama. Am not sure if it automatically added detergent or what. When it got to the drying cycle it used high heat. Be careful about clothing that might shrink.

Nicer hotels offer a laundry service. You put your stuff in a bag with a list of what is in it. They sometimes can return it same day. This is expensive.

Last edited by mrwunrfl; Jun 12th, 2023 at 12:08 PM.
Old Jun 12th, 2023, 06:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always do my laundry in the bathroom sink, but I'm female and I don't take clothes that won't dry overnight.