Doing Laundry While in Hong Kong

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be traveling to Hong Kong in a couple of days. This is the first trip there for DH & I. We will be staying at the Peninsula Hotel on Salisbury Rd. During our 5 day stay we will need to do laundry, but we don't want to pay "hotel prices" for laundry.

Is there a laundry service or dry cleaner near-by that we can take our clothes to?
Old Feb 7th, 2010, 05:56 PM

There are virtually no self-service (coin-operated) laundries in Hong Kong, as many people have domestic helpers at home who do laundry. Drycleaners will do laundry as well as dry cleaning, they charge on a per kilo basis for luandry. You might ask your hotel which would be the nearest one, some links to try are below as well, but I think most of these are on the Hong Kong Island side. I think you may find some on the smaller roads off of Nathan Road behind your hotel, or try the MTR station which is very large and spreads out for many blocks below the streets around the Penn. You may in some cases have to go upstairs, as rents on street level may to too high for dry-cleaners and laundries.

http://www.cleanliving.com.hk/
http://britishdrycleaners.com/en/company.htm
http://www.voguelaundry.com/index.jsp
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 12:02 AM
Original Poster

Dry cleaning would be just fine. We are in Kaohsuing, Taiwan right now and sent out our laundry to bo done by a dry-cleaner. It came back just fine & we were hoing to find a similar service near our hotel in HK.
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 12:20 AM

You know, it just occured to me that the YMCA Salisbury next door to the Penn may have a coin-operated laundry facility. I just looked on their website, and they indicate that they have one. See http://www.ymcahk.org.hk/sales/html/...recreation.htm.
Not sure if non-guest can use it. But it might be worth a walk over there to check. (When in doubt, maintain to staff that you are a guest, unless an actual key card is needed for entry. It's not like you are gonig to steal anything. I do this all the time here to use the ladies' rooms in various hotels.)
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 12:24 AM

The YMCA also has a dry-cleaner, that may be the closest and best priced one to the Penn.
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 04:20 AM

I can't swear that it's still there, but there used to be a same-day laundry service on the ground floor of Chungking Mansions, just around the corner on Nathan Road. It's called Puritan Laundry, and it's in the far right corner, Bring it to them by 9 or 10am, and it's all washed and folded, for a very low price, by 3 or 4 in the afternoon.

There used to also be a laundry service on Minden Row, next to the Mariner's Club, but I believe that's gone.
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 11:10 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses. We walked by the Mariner's Club and didn't see a laundry there. We will check out the YMCA & Chungking Mansions options and see what we can find.

We brought a big bag of laundry with us, so we will be working on this tomorrow.