Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Hotel near the Hong Kong Intercontinental?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2007, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking about a trip to Hong Kong next year, for just a couple of nights after a package cruise tour. I'll traveling with some friends who have lots of money to spend on hotels and they think they want to stay at the Intercontinental. It is proably going to be too expensive for me. But can anyone recommend a hotel near the Intercontinental that would be a little less money and still a nice place to stay? On same block is best but a short walk would be ok. Thanks a lot.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 06:47 AM

Closest is the Renaissance Kowloon (used to be call New World Renaissance). Good hotel, no harborview. It's more or less in the same complex as the IC.

Across Salisbury Road (lots of construction, so one has to use a pedestrian tunnel) are the Peninsula and Sheraton. I guess the Pen is out as it's no cheaper than the IC. Next to the Pen is the YMCA Salisbury. Behind the Pen is the Kowloon Hotel (very small rooms).

Those are the closest. Many more hotels a few blocks further away.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 06:55 AM

I spent all morning booking a hotel in Hong Kong (and one in Singapore) so I don't know how much luck you will have. I checked what seemed bargains with tripadvisor where people review hotels and some of them were absolutely awful. Space is a premium in Hong Kong and many cheaper hotels are little bigger than large cupboards.

I would advise you to book your hotel early (I booked for January) as good ones can fill up quick.

I don't know how much success you'll have but I would consider one near an MTR (subway) station which can get you anywhere in Hong Kong fairly quickly. That may be your best way to be near them (they are near the Tsim Sha Tsui station at the south end of Nathan Road on Kowloon).
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 07:08 AM

kaneda - What dates are you going? What hotels are you considering? Rates?
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 07:13 AM
B0B

Hi there,

Maybe I can try to recommend a few hotels within walking distance from HK Intercontinental. Well of course, HK Intercontinental (formerly known as The Regent, HK) is one the best hotels in Hong Kong, situated in the victoria harbour (Kowloon), it offers you a view to die for. Not too worry, there are some other hotels in the same area that offer services as good as the HK Intercontinental;

* You can try the Hong Kong Intercontinental - Grand Stanford, the sister hotel located in the Tsim Sha Tsui East, not too far away from the Hong Kong Intercontinental.

* Sheraton Hong Kong also within the same area as Hong Kong Intercontinental.

* Holiday-Inn Golden Mile, which is right accross the street from Hong Kong Intercontinental.

Those are the three hotels that I can think of if you would like to stay within the same neighbourhood. Let alone the famous Peninsula Hong Kong. he3. If you take the airport express, stop at the Kowloon Station and follow the sign to the shuttle bus area inside the station. There are a few shuttle bus routes that stop at almost every major hotel in Kowloon. Just tell the customer service about the hotel you're gonna stay, and they'll let you know which bus you should take.

My advice is to book hotel in the Kowloon side, because it's all about the location-location-location. Some of the hotel rooms in the Tsim Sha Tsui area area offering you the spectacular view of the Hong Kong harbour, although these type of room can be quite pricey. But in my personal opinion, they have better view of the harbour compared to those hotels located on the Hong Kong side (Mandarin, Ritz-Carlton, Four Seasons, JW Marriott).

That's what I can tell you about the accomodation, but feel free to email me if you have any other questions. Hong Kong is indeed my home away from home, although sometimes the people can be very nasty, but I've lost my heart in this city ever since the first time I set my feet in the city many years ago.

Old Aug 8th, 2007, 07:42 AM

The Holiday Inn Golden Mile is not "right across the street" from the IC. Right across the street is the Sheraton. Then you cross a small street, then you walk past Imperial Hotel, Chungking Mansion before getting to the HI.

The IC Grand Stanford is about 2/3 a mile NE of the IC. Nice walk along the Promenade, then crossing a footbridge; but it's still a 10-minute walk. Same direction, but closer is the Shangri-La, but it's also not much cheaper than the IC.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 06:42 PM
B0B

depends on what time of the month you wanna go, price can be different as well. Try to go to zuji.com to get the rates "preview".
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 08:43 PM

The Renaissance Kowloon is certainly going to be the closest physically and may give you the best rates. The building is going to be torn down at some point in the next year or so, but if they are taking bookings for your dates, then obviously they will still be open. Go to Marriott.com.

I think that the Sheraton is actually a bit of a nicer hotel than the Renaissance, and its across the street on Salisbury. So if you take a non-view room, you may get a good rate there. Go to starwood.com, it is the Sheraton Hong Kong Hotel & Towers.

The YMCA Salisbury is about 2 blocks west still along Salisbury, again if you take a non-view room the price will be good, it probably is about the same quality as the Renaissance. You may even be able to afford a harbour view room, just would depend on what you want to spend. They are very popular so book early. Website for YMCA hotels in Asia is /www.ymca-hotels.com, you want the Salisbury. It’s not really like a Y lake you might expect.

IMO, the Holiday Inn Golden Mile is not at all a bad walk from the IC if you want to look at that, it’s probably the closest of the more budget hotels. It’s only about 2 blocks in from the water, it’s behind the Sheraton basically.

The Kowloon Hotel behind the Peninsula on Salisbury is no longer run by the Penn, it is now part of the Harbour Plaza group. It may be cheaper also, have not seen the rooms, but take a look at http://www.harbour-plaza.com.

Furthest west there are a 2-3 hotels in the Marco Polo group to the west of the Penn and behind the Star Ferry in the huge Ocean Terminal shopping complex, you might try those. I think they vary in quality and price, take a look at http://www.marcopolohotels.com/index.html. These may be a bit out of the way, but if your friends want to meet up at the Star Ferry it’s convenient for that, and if you are coming by ship, yoru cruise ship will dock here so that is convenient too,.

The more budget hotels in Kowloon are going to be further away from the IC, and from your description, this sounds like it would not be what you want. You should first look intot he above and if those rates don’t work you can consider looking further afield.

There is the Kowloon Shangri-La which I think is out of the way in terms of location, but may work in terms of price because of this for all of you. It’s less than ideal location translates into lower prices for its luxury. It certainly is a nice hotel, I just think you will take a lot more taxis than you want, as it is not walkable to anything much. But you could take a non-view room and they could take view rooms and you could at least all be together. You could also maybe stay there yourself in a non-view room and cab down to them at the IC, literally about 5 minutes and about US$2.50 a ride. There is a bus too, but would take a bit more time. The Grand Standford, mentioned above, is in this same area. Neither is a great location really.

Personally, I don’t like the Kowloon side at all, except for the view; as all the tourist sites, the vast majority of the good non-touristy restaurants (other than about 3-4) and interesting shopping are actually on Hong Kong Island, as is lots of good walking and the ferry pier for day trips to the outlying islands. You will find yourself spending most of your time in Hong Kong Island. There is something to be said for staying on the Hong Kong Island side, although from your point of view if you want a cheaper hotel you might be farther from them if they choose to stay someplace like the Mandarin, so perhaps Kowloon is best for your purposes. The Kowloon side does have the great view, so if your friends get a harbour view room at the IC then that is worth something. Personally if money were no object and I were choosing the Kowloon side, I would take the Penn and a high floor room in the tower, but the IC would work too.

Old Aug 13th, 2007, 01:48 AM

The Renaissance Kowloon has rooms that are very small, but one redeeming factor is that it sits above a huge shopping center and will be right next door to your friends. The rooms have no views, but you can walk right out your door to a "boardwalk" of sorts right along the harbor.

On my last trip to Hong Kong last year, we stayed at the Sheraton Hong Kong across the street from the Intercontinental. I was surprised and delighted to find that we had a harbor view room. The hotel has been remodelled and was much nicer than I remembered.

If you have budget constraints, don't discount the Salisbury YMCA. It's a budget option in a high rent district and right next to the vernerable Peninsula Hotel. The rooms are air-conditioned and have televisions. They are spare, but quite adequate and the hotel is in just the most terrific location.
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 04:23 AM

I always recommend the Harbour Plaza Hung Hom for fabulous views at a reasonable cost. Yes, the hotel is located in Hung Hom, but the Star Ferry is a 3-minute walk away. The rooftop pool, looking down on all of Hong Kong, Kowloon, and Victoria Harbour, is SPECTACULAR! Please check it out.

The Great and Powerful Thingorjus
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 09:31 PM

marginal_margiela:

I remember Hung Hom as being very industrial. Is it still that way?
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 09:45 PM

No, the area near surrounding the Harbour Plaza are mostly residental, plus some very new office blocks. Nothing industrial in that part of Hung Hom. [Seriously, there's hardly anything industrial in all of Hong Kong. ]

Some good Chinese restaurants at the Whampoa Gourmet Place, a very short walk from the HP:

www.whampoaworld.com/choi_e.htm

Having said that, it's not a good recommendation for the OP, as the HP is nowhere close to the Intercontinental.
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 10:06 PM

Well, I would say that the area of Hung Hom around the hotel has a number of warehouses and is what we call in the US “light industrial”….there are a number of workshops for artifical flower factories, costume jewelers, etc all over the place there, and Kaiser Estate, the discount outlet area, is just a few blocks from the hotel and that is a huge area of warehouses too. The area immediately surrounding the hotel has residential tower blocks and offices, but I still consider that area to be somewhat industrial, not in the smokestack sense (there is very little of that in Hong Kong for sure) but in the 4-5 story warehouse sense. You are not going to find a lot of shops and restaurants in the area that would be of great interest to the tourist, IMO, but you are not going to find the touts you find on the Kowloon side in Tsim Sha Tsui, either.

Also, just to clarify what is meant by the “3 minute walk to the Star Ferry” comment above. This is a reference to the Hung Hom pier for the Star Ferry. This ferry goes to Central in about 10 minutes, so is a longer ride and gives some great views of the harbour. It is NOT however, the Star Ferry pier most people know and think of, and is NOT the same Star Ferry pier which is close to the Penn, the Y and the Intercontinental. That is the Tsim Sha Tsui pier.

Agree that the Habour Plaza may not work for the OP if her friends are at the IC, although it is like a 3-5 minute taxi ride to the IC from there. It is not that far in terms of distance. I would agree it would have a great view. I don’t know anytying about the quality of the hotel

Old Aug 13th, 2007, 10:31 PM

I almost forgot. I do have photos of the Harbour Plaza and Hung Hom from the Duk Ling Cruise:

rkkwan.zenfolio.com/p364994972/?photo=703022273

The really tall building on the right is the 70-storey "Harbourfront Landmark", one of the tallest residential block in Hong Kong and the world.

The shorter, darker green building to its immediate left is the Harbour Plaza Hotel and an office block in the same complex.

You can see the Hung Hom Star Ferry on the left of the picture, and the Whampoa Gardens residential development behind the hotel.

There is really nothing industrial in this area anymore. To the far right and off the picture is the public swimming facility with 4-5 large pools. And then more residental blocks.

The hotel calls itself 5* and is the flagship of Li Ka-Shing's Harbour Plaza Hotel group, which has several hotels in Hong Kong including the Kowloon Hotel behind the Peninsula. Several years ago, when the President of China came to HK for a visit, he stayed there too.
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 03:53 PM

Oh my gosh, rkkwan, your photos are so much different from what I remember from when I used to wander around there. I'll have to stop by and take a look a the area and the hotel the next time I'm there.

Love your photos, by the way! This is the second link I've gone to. Please keep posting them!
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 06:16 PM

I have been to HK twice, once staying at the Peninsula, once at the Harbour Plaza. The quality of the Harbour Plaza is very good. My harbour-view room had a king-size bed, a couch, a desk, a room safe, a well-stocked fridge, and a HUGE marble bathroom with a telephone, walk-in shower and seperate tub. The hotel has about 6 different restaurants and a fabulous breakfast buffet in a glass room that looks out on the harbour.

The area around the hotel has a few good dim sum parlours and a shopping mall with a McDonald's. But, you can easily take a cab (the hotel also has a shuttle) to TsimTsaTsui or the Star Ferry over to the HK side.