Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Langkawi, Malaysia--What's to do and see?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2004, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're joining my stepson and his wife for 4 days on Langkawi. They will be with friends at a wedding part of the time, leaving us time to explore, eat, and shop. We are staying at the Langkawi Lagoon Resort. Any suggestions on interesting sights, good shopping and dining?
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 09:47 AM

we rented a car for a day and drove around the island...it is very lovely..lots of monkeys around...you will love it...
a good restaurant on the water near the airport (past the airport leaving town) is Bon Ton...aussie owned..very romantic and good food
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 10:20 AM

Hi,
We were in Langkawi for 10 nights in march,it's a beautiful island.
Things to do,hire a car and drive up north,we visited the Datai beach,tanjung rhu beach,drove up very windy roads of gunung raya mountain,fab views from the top.Go up the cable car,and if you are fit walk all the way back down through the rainforest.Visit the oriental village[cable car station],a few shops and some restaurants here [thai one is excellant]. Go to the seven wells water falls, quite a hike up a very step hill.A must is the trip to pulau payar[go with langkawi coral],fantastic snorkling here[baby sharks!!,plus a lovely little beach.There are lot's of restaurants at pantai cenang,we ate at a differant one most nights.
Enjoy your hols
sue
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 09:12 AM

I second the Bon Ton restaurant. I was there quite a few years back and am glad to hear that it is still in business.

There was a Thai restaurant built on stilts somewhere in the mangroove swamp when I was there, I wonder if it is still there? Another restaurant I liked was Champor Champor near Pelangi Resort hotel, it had probably closed down as I heard the owner had migrated to England and opened a restaurant of the same name in London.

To me, Langkawi is all about beaches and natural beauty, the sights are not up to much.
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 03:38 AM

Rent a car and drive around the island, very easy, all signs in English. Although a duty-free island don't expect rows of camera and electronic shops, the duty-free shops have some cigarettes and drinks but mainly household and food items, quite boring. Langkawi is a very natural Island, great beaches, lovely scenary. You can also take trips easy into Southern Thailand for a few days if you want a change. You get great Thai food in Langkawi, the restaurant at pelangi beach resort very good, and you will also find Thais working in the hotels. It is a very quiet island but nice and relaxing.