The Cove in Eleuthera

Jun 14th, 2002, 08:04 AM
Ann Saltmarsh

The Cove in Eleuthera

Has anyone stayed at The Cove in Eleuthera? We are seriously planning a 2-wk stay there in the Fall and have been quite impressed with the responsiveness to our inquiries so far. We really searched for a very small, very private/quiet, "do-nothing" location with simple yet excellent food and no need for night life.

We have previously traveled many times to the Grenadines and are looking for a place similar to Palm Island in a closer (and less costly) location. From NH it took a full day to/from the Grenadines.

Anyone's experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ann & Jim Saltmarsh
Laconia, NH

Jun 14th, 2002, 09:49 AM
tweedy

Ann,

I have not stayed there, but did go and see the resort a couple of years ago and it is very laid back as you described.

North Eleuthera is very quiet, nothing to do, but beautiful beaches to stroll. You are not far from the bridge called "Glass Window", that leads to the road to Spanish Wells and Harbour Island.

The Cove, used to be called Pineapple Cove, because of all the pineapple plantations in the area, so there is lots of fresh fruit and veggies grown on the island. Also the fish is as fresh as you can get.

Conch is a speciality and is served many ways, our fav is conch salad and cracked conch. The food at The Cove is very good and not far away is the Rainbow Inn also very good food there.

You might rent a car for a day or two to see a bit more of the island. Other than that bring a book or two and hang out at the beach.

The Cove is small, and I know there were some rennovations not long ago, so you should enjoy the hospitality and the friendliness and beauty of the island.

N. Eleuthera airport is closed right now for some much needed rennovation to the runways and the "terminal", so if you are flying it will be into Govenours Harbour. Or you might take the fast ferry, it stops on Eleuthera some days of the week.

Hope this helps a bit, enjoy your time in the Bahamas.

tweedy

Jun 23rd, 2002, 12:05 PM
ann saltmarsh

Thanks so much for your thoughts - we always rely on previous visitors for the best recommendations. It sounds like you have traveled the area - any other suggestions for a nice vacation destination? Regards, Ann

Jun 23rd, 2002, 07:37 PM
tweedy

Another suggestion would be to Harbour Island or Abaco. There are some lovely places to stay on both islands and both are very laid back with just a little nite life but several good restaurants.

Our favorite, as you may have read earlier is Runaway Hill. I have been staying there for about 15 years whenever we can get away. It is very small and intimate only 10 rooms and the best food on island. The beach is amazing 3 miles of powder pink sand.

You might check the Runaway website at www.runawayhill. Also look into other places on island at www.briland.com and another great site for the whole carribean is www.where2stay.com

We are planning on being on island in July and I can't wait, need my island time.

Take care and hope this helps a bit.

tweedy

Jul 10th, 2002, 07:10 AM
brad

Hi, Just got back from a week at The Cove. we loved it. They upgraded us to an ocean front. The room was plenty big for the two of us It had both a ceiling fan and a/c with a decent size porch that looked over the bay. The beach was small but quiet with very good snorkeling. The food was very resonable and the conch was great .. Try the conch burger and the chowder was really good. You must rent a 4 wheel drive jeep and explore the secluded beaches . They were fabulous.

Jul 10th, 2002, 01:52 PM
ann saltmarsh

Thank-you for your thoughts! It sounds like the Cove is exactly what we hoped to find. Regards, Jim & Ann

Jul 20th, 2002, 11:05 PM
Beezy

Ann: My husband and I stayed at the Cove last November and loved it. We enjoyed the hospitality and the location. Snorkeling was good, but the peace and quiet was the best!!! Enjoy!