Suggestions or Reviews of Langkawi?

Feb 22nd, 2010, 10:07 PM
Original Poster

Suggestions or Reviews of Langkawi?

I am heading to Langkawi for 4 days in a few weeks and have booked rooms for 2 days at Langkawi Lagoon Resort and the other 2 days at the Sheraton. It's too late to cancel of course but if anyone has stayed at either place and has a comment about their experience I would appreciate it. Also, what about places to eat or things to do?
Feb 23rd, 2010, 07:32 AM

We stayed years ago at the Sheraton on Langkawi. It was a very enjoyable time. We did rent a car and drive around the Island (do able in a day with stops here and there.) There are some places to eat nearby, but a car is helpful.
Feb 23rd, 2010, 05:42 PM

the sheraton grounds are very large right on the ocean.. you will like it... the monkeys steal anything they can get their hands on--beware..

visit bon ton for a good meal
Feb 23rd, 2010, 11:05 PM

Agree with bob that Bon Ton is a good choice for food http://www.bontonresort.com.my/resort.html.
For a special night out The Pavillion at The Datai serves great thai food in a great location set right in the rainforest canopy http://www.ghmhotels.com/ (expensive!).
Ypu can also get some amazing malay/chinese food in the local restaurants in the centre of Kuah town - great Kuay Teow!
Finally, Langkawi is really all about the beaches but I would recommend renting a car for a day and having a look around. Maybe a visit to the mangrove walk
Feb 24th, 2010, 06:54 AM

Just came back. The mangrove cruise is great. Be wary about the island hopping trips - they're fine but all the boats go in an armada which means it's chaos when you reach the pregnant maiden lake.

For restaurants Bon Ton is good but the Straits restaurant at the next door Temple Tree resort (owned by the same people) is even better. Both are better than the Casa del Mar, Thai Pavillion and Gulai House at the Datai (which are all still nice though).
Feb 24th, 2010, 09:23 PM

I loved the little bungalow by the beach at the Sheraton. Not much of a beach. It isn't ocean, but the Andaman Sea, and the location means that the water is very calm. I didn't see anyone out on the water. Some kind of noisy bugs in the trees made a constant racket during the day. Got to the Sheraton from the port by taxi and rented a car there. Then taxi to the airport.