Langkawi in late September

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2003, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any thoughts on whether it's wise to visit Langkawi in late September (the last week of the month)? I am hoping for a relaxing beach vacation which includes water activities such as snorkeling, kayaking, and such. With October - November being a sort of mini rainy season, I am concerned about the weather. How predictable are the rains ... do they sometimes begin early? And do they tend to last all day and stir up the seas, or are they a mere hour or so of heavy rainfall each afternoon with good weather the rest of day? I'd appreciate your input.

Thank You,
Dawn St. Clair
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 10:07 AM

i visited a few years ago in late october and the weather was perfect every day....hope the same for you..
make sure you rent a car for a day and drive around the island...easy drive and can be done in a day easily
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 10:13 PM

I haven't been there is September but the weather is almost identival to Phuket ( just 25 mins flight when they used to have flights! ), September is still monsoon time. Monsoon rain is different from a 'rainy season', Monsoon is when the palm trees bend and the rain comes down in torrents. September in Phuket is known for very heavy rain so I 'guess' same for Langkawi.
The Gulf side of Malaysia and Thailand though just has a 'rainy time of year' which is usually short burts of rain, typically in my experience about 6-7 am for up to another and then around 6 pm, which is no problem as it freshens the air, flowers bloom, I personally like it more than just non-stop scorching sun and dryness. I would think about the 'other side' of the peninsular.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 10:14 PM

Sounds like Koh Samui might be a better bet.
Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 05:14 PM

You might have trouble finding a hotel room in late September - or pay slightly more for it. LIMA (Langkawi International Maritime Airshow) is scheduled for that month. Hope info. is useful!