Thailand in March or October

Mar 8th, 2003, 09:29 PM
Original Poster

Thailand in March or October

I want to go to Thailand and visit Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Koh Tao. Which would be the better month to go? Late October or March?
Mar 9th, 2003, 06:35 AM

Can I sneak my question in here too? If I am committed to fall, which would be better for those destinations -- September or October, or is there really much difference? Do the rains taper off sometime in September usually? Or not until mid or late October?
Mar 9th, 2003, 05:58 PM

September over October. march is best. it will be hot but it's better then those crazy mansoon rains.. but thats just me..
Mar 9th, 2003, 06:27 PM

This becomes more and more interesting. One place I read that there are more rains in September than October, another says the rains are generally over by mid September, and another says that the rains continue until November. I know weather isn't all that predictable, but what gives?
Mar 9th, 2003, 06:34 PM

That is because the country is large and has multiple climatic areas.
From May-October the Monsoons from the Bay of Bengal hit Phuket, Krabi, Phi Phi, Trang areas. Meanwhile at that time Koh Samui, Samet, Chang, Hua Hin, Cha Am are enjoying the 'dry' season.

Yesterday it rained on Koh Samet, along the coast and Bangkok, the rain was welcome! It has been a very dry spell. South from Bangkok dust has been blowing, trees are dry, the scenary looked barren, now that some rain has appeared it is very welcome indeed!

So just remember May-October stick to the 'Gulf side' unless you love rain in which case head to the 'west coast'. Hope that helps.
Mar 9th, 2003, 06:35 PM

OP: Koh Tao is 'Gulf' area.
Mar 9th, 2003, 06:55 PM

Thanks James. We aren't into the beaches, and will probably only be going from Bangkok to the north. September still rainy? Early October?
Mar 10th, 2003, 12:52 PM
peg

We were in Thailand last October, mid month. We were in Chaing Mai, Golden Triangle, Bangkok and Phuket for a day. The only rain we experienced was in the morning on Phuket. Other than that hot and humid every day.
Mar 10th, 2003, 05:09 PM

Thanks, peg. I'm from Florida so hot and humid I can deal with, just don't like being totally rained out.
Mar 11th, 2003, 12:23 AM

For historical weather information, go to worldclimate.com. The highest rainfall months historically are May through October, with September being the month with the most rain. If you have a choice of fall months, I would choose November. All that being said, I have been in Bangkok if virtually all months of the year, and the most violent rainstorm I was ever in there occurred in April, which is historically a low rainfall month. It is a tropical country, so you can experience downpours at any time. However, this should not hamper your ability to enjoy either Thailand.