Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Ko Samui - Where's the best top-notch hotels?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! Planning to go to Ko Samui in the beginning of October...I have never been to Ko Samui, want to get an understanding of what the top notch hotels are in the area. Any recommendations?

If there's any scuba divers out there....!!!
Does any one have any suggestions on dive sites and also which hotel / area is suggested if doing so?

Old Jul 11th, 2006, 06:31 PM

There are some very nice hotels located at various beaches on the island. Le Meridien is rather isolated in the south. The Evason is on the north side. Sala Samui is as well. Actually, take a look through the pretty comprehensive list on sawadee.com to get a very good idea of what kinds of places there are...something for everyone, really. Sawadee.com also does a very good job of describing the various beach areas on the island which would help you choose where to go.

That said, are you aware that October to December is the rainiest time of year on Samui...November is rainiest, October next, and December is third. A friend who lived on Samui for years told us that October and November were very wet and stormy as a rule, and it always cleared before Christmas.

Nearby Ko Tao has very good diving...but I'd try for another time of year for better conditions. I'd suggest the Phuket side of Thailand, but in October, you are looking at the same amount of rain.

While neither Samui or Phuket would offer perfect weather, I don't think it rains non-stop either, so you would have some rain-free time...it looks like a crap shoot as to which side of Thailand is better at that time of year. You could have a plan to watch the weather and move from one side to the other if need be for weather?
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 07:10 PM

the pansea on the northshore is a wonderful hotel as well...

the sea might be quite rough in oct, so be aware of that for your diving, etc....
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 08:08 PM

There's a good choice on Samui, but as Kim said you have to watch the weather. I would also considor which beach area, whether you want busy or quiet, there are also serviced luxury villa etc.
http://www.phuket-luxury-hotels.com/...ry_hotels.html

Has a long list
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 11:44 PM

If the purpose of your trip is diving, you are going to run into problems in October in almost all of SE Asia; the monsoons are moving then all over the place. However, Bali is a very good choice, so you might look there. The diving is good, particular in the northern part; if you can do a live-aboard you can get to some even better diving a day or so away. There are of course many excellent top-notch hotels on Bali, including along the northern coast, take a look at the Amankila to start, go to amanresorts.com.

Take a look at weatherbase.com for average rainfall. For Koh Samui, use Surat Thani Thailand as a locator. If you are going in EARLY October in Samui you will get less rain than later in the month, but as it is the beginning of the rainy season this should only somewhat affect diving. As the winds and rain have not been on-going for a while, clarity should still be OK. However, it is a long way to go to encounter rain, which will still affect clarity and rain/clouds will of course affect the amount of light at deeper depths.

I would not dive in Phuket in October, as it is about the middle of the rainy season and waters have been churning for too long, IMO. Not worth the time and money and there is too much rain at that time anyway.

Old Jul 12th, 2006, 12:40 PM

Go on thread and put in Sala Samui and The Evason. I recently gave a comment of substance, in our opinion, of sala samui were we spent 6 nighs in April. Met several people at Evason and while they said it was similar to Sala Samui at 20-25% more for comparable villas the staff was not capable to understand many questions the 2 couples we met had. When you are at one of the 2-3 most expensive resorts on Koh Samui they said they expected much more. They raved though about the food and ambience of one of their resturants but the price was $100USD/couple for a 3 course dinner and a glass of wine each.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 03:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your replies!! I am definitely re-considering going to Ko Samui in October now - maybe I will go earlier! The Evason looks good ....I have been to Evason Hua Hin before and it was absolutely gorgeous - anyone who has been to both...which one is better??