Search

Kyoto Accommodation Advice, Please

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kyoto Accommodation Advice, Please

Hi Folks
Would welcome some further advice for Japan trip. Itinerary is finalised and most accommodation booked but am looking for some help before booking the last few nights.
We'll spend the first few nights in Tokyo, then Takayama before training to Kyoto where we have just night on the first stop.
After that we head to Nara where we spend one night, and then back to Kyoto for 4 further nights.
From there we go to Mount Koya, Osaka, Hiroshima, Miyajima and back to Tokyo.
The reason I've split the Kyoto visit like this is because I think trying to do Takayama to Nara in one day is too much, especially as we may like to spend some of the morning there before leaving towards Kyoto. As we've got just one night in Nara, I want to be able to get there in the middle of the day, to be able to enjoy wandering around fully.
For the four nights in Kyoto, I've so far booked a ryokan in Gion for the first 2 nights. I'd have loved to stay there for the full 4 nights but a) it's a little above my planned budget and b) they're fully booked the last 2 nights.
On to my questions:
When we first come into Kyoto, I'm expecting us to arrive early evening, potentially a little earlier but mid-afternoon earliest. We'll likely leave Kyoto late next morning for Nara. I had initially thought we should look for a hotel as close to Kyoto station as possible, to minimise hassle of getting to/ from hotel and station but now I'm not sure. For example, I found a great place near Gojo subway which is easy from Kyoto station but a quick look on Google Street View makes me think this is not a great area to stay in that we could just enjoy a walk near the hotel that evening and find somewhere decent/ inexpensive for dinner. I'm guessing right by Kyoto station won't be any better, but maybe it would be...
So, is there a particular Kyoto location you'd suggest, where we could easily get to our hotel when we arrive to Kyoto station (preferably by public transport and as little walking as possible, due to mobility issues and budget), would be nice to walk around and have dinner locally and which maybe offers us something interesting to visit in the morning, before we leave to head to Nara? That could be a cool department store to explore, a local park, a particularly fascinating temple, or anything really...
Secondly, for the second 2 nights of the 4 night block in Kyoto, should I look for a second place in Gion area or somewhere else, and if elsewhere, any suggestions? Budget ensuite accomm, good local access to inexpensive eateries and something appealing about choosing it to stay in?
Old Jul 18th, 2012, 03:21 PM

A couple of suggestions:

- Hotel Granvia, on top of the station: I <i>never</i> recommend the Granvia, not because it isn't a nice enough hotel, but because there are so many better locations in Kyoto. Still, for your purposes, it might be ideal. Not that there's a lot of interesting stuff around the station, but there is a lot to see and do in the station itself. And it's not as if you won't have time to explore the interesting parts of Kyoto.

- Hotel Okura. This is a very nice, if slightly dated, hotel in central Kyoto. It easy to reach via subway from the train station (there's a direct entrance to the hotel from the subway), and you've got lots of places to explore in the immediate area of the hotel: Ponto-cho, and the great pedestrian Teramachi-dori shopping street.
Old Jul 18th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Fabulous, thank you so much.
Old Jul 18th, 2012, 03:31 PM

My suggestion would be to stay somewhere other that Kyoto for that first night. You will be arriving late anyway and will be back in a few days. Why spend one night in what can be one of the most expensive cities for lodgings in Japan? Especially when you won't have time to see much anyway.

All that said I would stay here across the street from Kyoto Station. If you are two people go for the twin rooms(bigger) and not the double. The hot springs baths on the rooftop floor are calling me.....

http://www.japanican.com/hotels/shis...1#shisetsumenu

Aloha!
Old Jul 18th, 2012, 03:43 PM

For a budget hotel, the Kyoto Garden Hotel is a great value. With prices from ¥3900/single, completely non-smoking, near subway, restaurants, I didn't mind at all the business hotel atmosphere and 80s decor. It's comfortable and functional and friendly and rooms are bigger than Toyoko inns or APA.

Got more money, the Mitsui Garden Hotels (both) are great value too at under ¥7,000/pax.

If you fancya nice atmosphere with great design and too staff the Kanra is a thought.

Taxis are convenient and not all that pricey. ¥1000 will get you around most places.
Old Jul 19th, 2012, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Just to let you know, I've been checking out several recos (on this and other forums) including Hotel Hokke, Granvia, New Miyako and other hotels in the vicinity of the station.

I found a decent rate for the Granvia on Agoda (only a little bit more than for the New Miyako which I had been about to book). Given the difference, I've gone ahead and booked the Granvia for that single night stay. We should be able to find enough to do exploring the station (and shopping opps nearby) and maybe we can go up the Kyoto Tower on the morning before we leave for Nara?

For the other 2 nights, the second two nights of our 4 night stay, I'm still not sure where to base ourselves. The ryokan we booked (as a bit of a splurge to be honest but can't wait) is near Gion Shijo subway station. We can either stick to same area or try somewhere completely different. I'm not particularly fussed to be near Kyoto Station for this one, to be honest, as want to pick somewhere that allows us to make the most of being based in Kyoto.

Thanks again for any input.

(What I'd be most grateful for is not just specific hotel suggestions but thoughts about locations and their advantages/ disadvantages/ attractions).
Old Jul 19th, 2012, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

PS Hawaiian, the first accomm I booked a few weeks back was a Dormy Inn, for Tokyo. The Asakusa one.
Old Jul 19th, 2012, 11:09 AM

There will be plenty to do and see at the Granvia. We stayed there on our first trip to Kyoto and booked with the hotel's site. They also give a discount to JR pass holders. The Granvia is connected to the station which is a tourist destination in itself featuring a ten story shopping and restaurant complex connected to Kyoto Station.

When you head across the street to Kyoto Tower don't forget to check out the stations underground mall called The Portal with hundreds of more stores and restaurants similar to the Namba Walks underground mall in Osaka. There are several restaurants on the tenth level of the Kyoto station complex that serve anything from pizza, ramen to sukiyaki and is a good spot for a cheaper but great first dinner in Kyoto.

Aloha!
Old Jul 19th, 2012, 11:10 AM

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3922.html
Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 12:27 AM
Original Poster

Good to know the Granvia will work out for us... thanks again for all the advice. x
Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 04:04 PM
kja

Did I miss the specific location of the ryokan near Gion that you are considering? That might make a difference.
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Just to update you and thank you further:

As per advice elsewhere, decided to do Takayama directly to Nara, thereby consolidating our Kyoto 5 nights into one block.
Nara ryokan booking has confirmed change of date without any fee for change.

The 2 night ryokan (Shiraume) that I'd booked for Kyoto has done the same, allowing me to pull the booking forward by one day, so it's now for the new first 2 nights in Kyoto.

And I've booked the Granvia for the last 3 nights, I can cancel without penalty if I do find something I like sound of, as it is a bit higher than our planned budget, and now for 3 nights rather than 1, however, I think it'll work out well.

Thanks again,
Kavey
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Kja, it's this one: http://shiraume-kyoto.jp/en/about/index.html
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 04:51 PM
kja

I don't know that area well, Kavey, and its been some years since I was in Kyoto, but I believe that it should be a great location for visiting not just Gion, but also the eastern temples and Pontocho. And you will be close to various subways stations, so you should be able to get to other locations in the area with ease.

Maybe others who know Kyoto better can comment on the location.
Old Jul 25th, 2012, 12:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, from what I understand it's a good location for traditional Japan, for lots of inexpensive eating options, for shrines/ temples and for getting around.

Thus far am booked into Granvia for other 3 nights of Kyoto but may look for other options.
Old Jul 25th, 2012, 07:02 AM

Shiraume looks to be located in the middle of the Gion. The Gion is located the eastern quadrant of Kyoto right at the end of Shijo Dori which is one of the main streets that run through the heart of Kyoto. You are minutes away from transport along Shijo Dori and Kawaramashi Dori(Dori means street). The Kenniji Temple is close to you as is the Gion Corner where entertainment is provided daily IIRC. Kiyomizudera is up the hill and my wife's favorite kani(crab) restaurant is at the end of Shijo dori maybe 200 meters to the right.

The Gion is Kyoto's most famous geisha district and filled with restaurants, tea houses and shops. Wooden buildings circa the 18th century abound and you will feel transported back in time wandering through this fascinating part of Kyoto. See here for details of the area:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3902.html

Check the Granvia hotel site daily as they do come out with specials for people with a JR pass and other seasonal things.

http://www.granviakyoto.com/

It's been a while since I've been at the Granvia but I remember you had to avoid the very cheapest rooms as they are smaller in size. If you are two people always get a twin room as opposed to a double which are usually smaller in Japan.

Aloha!
Old Jul 27th, 2012, 12:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks HT x