Search

Kyoto Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 08:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kyoto Hotels

Has anyone stayed at either the Kyoto Granvia or the Westin Miyako? We will be in Kyoto for 3 days at the end of January and would like to find out more about those two hotels. We heard that the Granvia is relatively new, but the Westin Miyako may be closer to the sights. Also, has anyone taken a day trip from Kyoto to Himeji catsle? Will it be a worthwhile excursion given that we will only be in Kyoto for 3 days. Thank you.
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 11:31 AM

I haven't stayed at either places, but Granvia is at Kyoto station (handy for transport, but a cab ride away from cultural and entertainment centres), while Miyako is in East Kyoto where all the action is.
I have done a day-trip to Himeji twice, once by Shinkansen (had JR Pass) and once by ordinary train. Takes about an hour by former, 2.5 hours by ltter. Castle is 10 min walk rom station, and you should allow about 90 min for your visit. There are also organised sightseeing trips by buses from Kyoto, but you can easily make your own way. For travel on ordinary trains, you can buy a Kansai Area Pass for 2,000 yen a day at Kyoto station, which saves you over a half.
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 07:33 AM

Neither hotel is terribly close to the places you'd be most likely to want to visit.

The Kyoto Hotel Okura might be a good choice: it's a top-quality hotel, and it's just a few minutes walk from Gion, Pontocho, and the nicer shopping areas of Kyoto.
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 05:58 AM

I stayed at the Westin in August, and it is a beautiful hotel. As stated it is in the east part of town, but that is not all bad. It is right next door to the Nanzen-ji temple complex which is sprawling, there is a subway stop right outside the hotel as well as a bus to the train station. We were able to walk the mile or so to the Gion district. All in all it was a great place to stay and not that inconvenient, especially if you get a good rate as we did from their website.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 08:23 PM
mrublee

We stayed in the Kyoto Granvia for 3 nights this past July. We absolutely loved it. Of course, we had fun getting around the city using the subway, which is half the fun of getting to know Japan. We also did a ton of walking. Plus there are city busses right outside the door. The Granvia was stunning, we would go back in a heart beat. We got a really good deal on line that beat their price by far. Make sure you get breakfast included, their breakfast is to die for. Indeed, the buffets in their intl style restaurant (read "food that americans will like plus lots of Japanese food thrown in&quot was truly exceptional. Plus you have the whole train station there, with tons of shops and Isetan department store, with the food mart in the basement and the whole floor of restaurants on the top. You are so lucky, I so wish that I could go again soon!