Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Kota: any recommendations for budget family hotels?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2004, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that our itinerary is set, the next step is to try and fit in about twenty-five different hotels in various parts of India, and still not blow our budget. There are many recommendations on this forum to use the smaller family hotels and guest houses, particularly in Rajasthan.

So here's one for starters: our first two nights (mid-October) in a hotel in India will be in Kota. Our Lonely Planet doesn't have much info on accommodation in this non-touristy city, so perhaps somebody on this site has a recommendation for us. Budget price, please, but not necessarily a dorm!

Thanks for all suggestions!
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 06:52 AM

Alan,

Glad someone is reading my posts!!

Budget rates can vary from USD 10/- per day to USD 40/- per day. What is your definition of budget?

Do you have to stay at Kota or would it be possible to change to Bundi?

Old Jul 17th, 2004, 11:04 PM
Original Poster

Hi, Rajhelp50!

Indeed, your posts are well-read, and rightly so.

Well, it doesn't HAVE to be Kota, but the point is that after seeing Bundi we need to move on to Jaipur, and the train leaves from Kota at around 0830. We thought that a hotel in Kota near the Railway Station might be the only way, unless there are buses back from Bundi in the early hours (say, 0700 - 0800, assuming that it takes an hour)each day. I guess there are, in fact, lots of buses, but I didn't want to chance not being able to get on and thus missing our connection.

Our budget -- well, it's closer to the power end of your scale than the upper, but I guess if there was an amazing bargain in a town which could only be had by spending just that little bit more, then I'd manage a slurge. We favour traditional "old" accommodation rather than a modern establishment with a swimming pool, telephones in the room, and a name like "Marriott" or "Hyatt" or "Best Western" hanging on the door.

I would be grateful if you would reply again! Coming up: Jaipur, Jaisalmer, Jodhpur!
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 11:06 PM
Original Poster

Sorry for not proof-reading: power = LOWER and slurge = SPLURGE.
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 12:12 AM

Though Kota is not the place for tourist hotels, you can try Sukhdham Kothi, a family run establishment with about a dozen rooms, which is not too far from the station

[email protected]

The next three cities have many interesting possibilities, but I will wait for you to describe your requirements.

Old Jul 18th, 2004, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Rajhelp50! The Sukhdham looks fantastic, but I don't know if we can afford it. Its site asks you to submit a reservation form without telling you what the tariff is likely to be. What's the Palkiya Haveli like? I found it by accident, typing "haveli kota" into Google.
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 06:59 PM

Give Sukhdham your budget - say USD 12 or 15 and they will normally give you a response. Their "standard" rooms are in that range. The superior rooms may be twice that.

Palkiya is a reputed to be a superior place but they are in the range of USD 20 to 25. Also they are about 5 miles from the trains.
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 11:11 PM
Original Poster

OK, many thanks -- I will follow your suggestion! That budget is just about right. Much obliged.

I will post similar questions about Jaipur, Jodhpur, and Jaisalmer later today.