Search

Koh Phangan

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Koh Phangan

This will be my first trip to Thailand. Any suggestions on an Island. I have been looking at Koh Phangan, any feedback on this island would be great. Also, I do not want to stay at Haad Rin Beach but not too far away so i can experience some night life.

How are the beaches on the mainland penisula? Any suggestions?

Chad
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 07:34 PM

you need to tell us a little about what you are looking for and in what price range...

thailand has some nice beaches and some ok beaches, but personally i don't feel any of their beaches are fantastic...
Old May 1st, 2010, 03:34 AM

Koh Phangan seems to attract a lot of really young travelers, many of them teenage boys. Many of them go there to purchase dope and get drunk while gazing at the moon! If you are in this age category you will probably enjoy your stay there. There are some hoops to jump through just to get to that place.

http://kohphangan.com/travel/gethere.html

http://www.horizonmuaythai.com/Koh%2...oon_party.html

If you are more interested in nightlife, accept a mediocre beach, looking for cheap hotels and cheap transportation you might want to check out Pattaya. Only 2 hours by bus from Bangkok for about 110 baht. Besides the nightlife Pattaya also has many modern malls, lots of street vendors, cheap restaurants and lots of travel agencies that have tours you can sign up for. Each year more and more family groups, couples and even single women head for Pattaya. Guess that is why they have so many malls!

Good luck.
Old May 1st, 2010, 07:32 AM

Pattaya is renowned as a sleazy sex-tourist mecca. In recent years, a number of nice hotels and new malls have been constructed as Pattaya tries to attract other kinds of visitors. The beach is mediocre at best and the water is not clean.

If you want a better mainland beach. consider Hua Hin. It has a variety of accommodations, a central market, some interesting restaurants and is probably the best mainland beach. The best Thai beaches, IMO, are on the Adaman sea, e.g., Phuket Phi Phi, Krabi, Ko Lanta, etc.
Old May 1st, 2010, 07:40 AM

Choosing an island depends on what sort of things you enjoy. There are just countless beaches and islands ranging from highly commercial touristy places to quite little islands with just lazy days.
Koh Phangan is busy for the Full Moon Parties but outside of those times is popular with a wide variery of visitors.
Nearby Koh Tao is great is you are into snorkeling or scuba diving.

Pattaya is a coastal city and as a city has a wide variety of aspects. Nightlife in one of them. So too are a wide range of shopping plus lots of tourists attractions, theme resort hotels etc etc.

But you are looking for an island, depending on time of year, example from now on for the best of the weather Koh Tao together with Koh Phangan is a good mix.
You can beach hop and island hop down the coast from Hua Hin which makes for variety if you jave a few weeks.
But it is pretty much impossible to suggest one place without knowing what you are looking for