Best beachfront Hotel in Phuket?

Old Apr 24th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best beachfront Hotel in Phuket?

Traveling to Asia on business early-mid May & stopping in Phuket for 5 days of R&R. Having trouble deciphering web sites, reviews, etc to make a decision. We want a luxury beachfront hotel (splurging so cost not an issue) with turquoise water (pools are not a substitute for us.) Nearby restaurants and 60 minutes or less from HKT are pluses. Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 24th, 2010, 09:04 AM

The best advice I will give you is to avoid Patong Beach. It's too busy and too many agressive touts trying to sell you things along the street, IMO.

I can recommend the Katathani Resort on Kata Noi Beach. It isn't what you might consider a splurge place, but it is beachfront, and it is really very nice.

I can also recommend Mom Tri's Villa Royale. Small, intimate, boutique type of place. I prefer the 'old' villas over the newer rooms. The 'old' villas have names like Dhama Raksa and Fueng Fa and Doa a Dung. Doa a Dung is the best of them all!!! But this place is not directly on the beach. It is on a rocky outcropping overlooking Kata Noi Beach, and with a wooden stairway down to the beach. It's not difficult to get down there.

Lots of people here have stayed at lux resorts on Phuket. I'm sure you'll get some good advice.

Carol
Old Apr 24th, 2010, 09:53 AM

Take a look at The Amanpuri. It's very expensive, but will give you everything you want. However, for 1/2 the price, you can still get eveything you want, with a few more people at the hotel. Phuket has a number of 5-star palces.
Old Apr 24th, 2010, 10:25 AM

So many choices! You might find this website useful:

http://www.phuket.com/hotel/recommen...ic-resorts.htm

I don't know whether that website has the best prices. You can also check www.sawasdee.com That's the site I usually book through for Thai hotels.
Old Apr 24th, 2010, 01:17 PM

check out the chedi. we thought it wonderful and meets all your criteria. beach is private and gorgeos, and the rooms are lovely. town is a 3 minute drive away, lots of restaurant choices. the hotel is prettier even than the pictures
Old Apr 24th, 2010, 01:21 PM

We had a very good stay at the Chedi in 2002. It's right next to the Amanpuri and 1/2 the price. Secluded beach, lovely grounds. Please do tell us where you decide to stay.
Old Apr 24th, 2010, 06:47 PM

The new Renaissance may fit the bill as well. I haven't been there yet, but it is right on the beach at the north end of the island (near the JW Marriott and Anantara, which are also options).
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for their responses! I did look at the amanpuri - only thing is that only a few (5 according to the web site) even have sea views...im tempted to book it for the service but dont really care to be "in the woods." chedi looks nice, so still considering that. i will keep looking (and listening!) if patong really is that unattractive, what is second choice for area with restaurants, bars (even if we don't stay there?)
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 01:21 AM

If you have to limit yourself to Phuket Island, then IMO the Amanpuri is probably the best way to go. It’s a true luxury hotel, and is also just about the only beach on Phuket which feels private, as the hawkers cannot get to it. (There are no private beaches in Thailand, but because of the location of the Amanpuri and the Chedi next door, their beaches are on isolated points and hawkers can’t reach them.) The Chedi will not offer any better views than the Aman, and is a LOT of up and down on stairs to get to the beach, the restaurants, your room, etc. (Also, while it is a nice hotel, it is not really a luxury property IMO. It’s more of a 4 star.) Also note that some of the rooms at the Chedi do not have bathtubs, only showers so do ask if this is important to you. I believe it is a bit of a walk down to the beach at Mom Tri’s but I have never stayed there. As per the message above, people don’t seem to mind it. The Marriott, Renaissance and Antanara are very nice, but the hotels are set back a bit from the beach so you are unlikely to have water views from the room, esp the Anantara which are all ground level villas. (I would actually take a second floor room at the Marriott so you can be sure of having a sea view, although some of the Renaissance villas and perhaps their second floor rooms may have some views.)

I personally don’t think staying on Phuket Island is really the best choice if you want a luxury beachfront hotel. Overall, IMO, the waters on Phuket Island are not as turquoise as other parts. It’s also quite developed. I would go with Krabi or Khao Lak. My personal current favourite is the new Ritz-Carlton Reserve Phulay Bay in Krabi, http://reserve.ritzcarlton.com/phulay_bay/home.aspx. I have to say right away that you can’t really swim from this beach, as it quite rocky. The beach is very beautiful white soft sand however, and passes the turquoise water test. (You can’t swim from the beach at the Four Seasons Hawaii either, which is no drawback at all.) You can take kayaks and long tails out from the hotel to a beach. You can fly non-stop to Krabi airport (KBV) from Bangkok and from the airport in Krabi you can be at the hotel is less than an hour. There is little town with some restaurants and shopping which not far from the hotel. It’s not as large or developed as Patong, which is, IMO, a big plus.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 08:17 AM

there are several.....the le meridien is quite nice...villa royale is nice... jw marriott (no local restaurants however) and a couple of new adjoining hotels....

you might also look at the hotels in khoa lak: new jw marriott and le meridien
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the helpful input! We went with Trisara for the sea views & resort quality. We adjusted our expectation on beaches (which is better than being disappointed) so thanks again for the assistance!
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 10:43 AM

Make sure you write a trip report and include some pictures. Not much on this forum about the Trisara and we want to know more.
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 05:03 PM

Maybe a different perspective on the Amanpuri. We had a 5 night reservation and checked out after 2 nights. Obviously we knew the rates in advance and having stayed at a few $800=$900USD+/night we expected a friendly customer-focused staff. We went to the pool for a swim and then planned to relax on a lounge chair for a short time and read but the sun in April was intense. We asked for an umbrella or canopy cover. We were told that ubrellas were not allowed. We asked them to have the Mgr. or Assist. Mgr. on duty. We asked that way because they often tell you at resorts the G.M.is in a meeting, sound familar? The Assist Mgr. told us they have strict requirements from the architect that umbrellas or canopy's would disrupt the design of the pool complex, We could not believe it. Since we were not in Phuket for sun anyway we were P.O.'d but stayed but on the second evening decided to have dinner at the hotel. Either the chef and the staff were off or the kitchen staff was in-training but the meal was mediocre at an outragious price compared to a lovely dinner in town the evening before. We decided to check out and go to the Baynon Tree where we had lunch the day before.When we told them we were leaving all of a sudden the G.M. appeared and wanted to know our concerns Why you ask, well they had our record something I did not know that we had stayed at 4 other Aman resorts for a total of 26 days. He wanted to comp the first 2 nights. We just wanted to get out of there. Since 2007,in our travels, we have stayed away from the Aman chain of resorts because they are $400-$600 more per night as in our last trip in March to Central Java and stayed at a Grand Hyatt for $220/night on the Regency Club Floor and saved $3000+ for the 5 night stay. Considerinmg we were touring we donated some funds to 2 local village schools by buying school supplies with help from our terrific guide.
Old May 1st, 2010, 08:47 AM

So as to be near to good dining out Mom Tri's Boathouse / Villa Royale might suit you.