Need help on Phuket hotels please!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning on spending 4 nights in Phuket on our trip to Thailand in September, and looking for advise on hotels that are:
1. Not over the top expensive (approx $30-$70) I'd rather keep it lower than higher, but dont want a hole either
2. Not too crowded and full of edjits! But I do want to be only 10-15min taxi ride from where it all happpens.

Can anyone advise us on the different areas of Phuket as this is our first visit. Taking into account that we want the beach etc, want to eat good food and then if up for it some night life.

Please any help much appreciated.

Oisin
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 06:25 PM

I've been to Phuket several times but have not stayed at a $30-70 hotel. Sept is off season, so prices will be cheaper.
Check web sites such as thaivisa.com for information on a variety of places on Phuket. I like Kata Beach better than Patong. Patong is about a 15 minute tsongtau ride from Kata. You said not too crowded, that's Kata. If you like good food, Kata has some nice restaurants.
Have fun doing your planning.
Carol
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 07:06 PM

look at this website for hotel info:

www.huahin.20m.com

use the drop down box at the top and select phuket...hotels are arranged by location...
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 08:30 PM

I am researching similar accomodations. The hotel at the link below was recommended as was Sawadee Village but I am too lazy to look it up right now. Do a web search and you will find info on it.

http://www.phukethoteltravel.com/nai_harn.htm

Cheers!

Old Aug 9th, 2005, 09:03 PM

I'm staying at the kata beach resort in oct and the place looks fabulous and would be in your budget.It is right on the beach and looks to be family oriented which may or may not suit you but it rules out the "edjit" element.We have stayed at various locations in phuket including patong at the patong merlin ,the merlin beach resort which was lovely but a bit isolated, and the allamanda at laguna which was great but a bit far from the action for my liking. I have researched this trip extensively to the point of driving my wife crazy and i have come to the conclusion that kata has the best mix of beach,relaxed restaraunts and bars within walking distance,relative quiet as well as only being 15 mins or so from the constant action of patong with all its shopping and nightlife.
The kata beach resort seems to be one of the few affordable places that is set on absolute beach front in this area.I hope this helps.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 09:56 PM

First decide on beach:-
Patong is busiest and liveliest, shopping, restaurants, some like it others find it a bit too hectic.
Karon is about 10 minues south, quieter but still some restaurants and shops
Kata next down, quieter still but also some restaurants and shops.
There are other beaches but if you want to be close then either somewhere like Kata or Karon or perhaps a quieter hotel around the edges of Patong.

A personal favorite and absolute Bargain(!) is the "Old Phuket Hotel" at Karon beach, not old, a few years old only, only downside is rooftop pool but strangly I actually liked it as grteat views and nice breeze, easy within $50 area, short walk to the beach, restaurants close and easy to get to and from Patong.

http://www.r24.org/huahin.20m.com/ph...uket/pictures/

I stayed there recently and it was excellent.

In Patong some great bargains are "Club Bamboo" which is set in the Patong Hills so you are 5-6 minutes from the beach or center of Patong but in a quiet area, superb rooms, excellent service, within your budget easily!

www.patong-beach-hotels.com/club_bamboo.html

This is a great place..Coconut Village, a short walk to the beach at Patong but layout very tropical, Palm trees, large pools etc

http://www.r24.org/huahin.20m.com/ph...lage/pictures/

Also look thru www.patong-beach-hotels.com, also have Kata , Karon and other beaches.

www.phuket.travelreporter.com also has links to photos and information about beaches.

Some other Karon beach ones in your range would be "Front Village" and the "Karon Whale Resort"(probably closer to $35-40 range ).

Patong is the best place for nightlife, try the Safari Club which is up the hill from Simon Cabaret towards Karon, very busy late!

I lived in Patong for several years and go up and down to Phuket all the time. It is busier now than a few months back and many popular hotels are getting as many bookings now as normal for this time of year, although you will be going low season everything is open.

I think between Old Phuket at Karon and some of those around the Patong area you will find what you want, those sites have over 100 Phuket hotels and resorts, if you find others you like the look of post back the names of those, as I said I lived there years so know most of the places.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 10:06 PM

Just checked "Old Phuket" for September prices, USD 30 for twin or USD 40 for the Spa deluxe rooms including tax, service, breakfast, if you look at that link there is a very clear photo showing the beach view from the rooftop so you can see it's very close.

One I forgot at Kata is Kata Garden, a walk down the hill to the beach but prices are around USD 30-45 for a bungalow, quite nice

http://www.r24.org/huahin.20m.com/ph...rden/pictures/

Club bamboo rates go from USD 30 to USD 52 for a Suite !! This is boutique style

http://www.r24.org/patong-beach-hote...mboo/pictures/

Forget Coconut Village, it's closed for September to re-do some building.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 10:11 PM

Sorry that link didn't work for Club Bamboo but you can find on www.patong-beach-hotels.com or just go to this link for the photos and rates

http://www.r24.org/patong-beach-hote...mboo/pictures/
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 10:14 PM

Forget 2 of the all time favorites, as Shanek said the Kata beach resort, now this has 'absolute beachfront', i.e, right on the sandy beach at Kata, close to things and 15 mins from Patong, if you want to be 'right on the beach' in that price range it's excellent. The aptly named and easy to remember Karon beach resort very similar, 5 mins closer to Patong though

http://www.r24.org/patong-beach-hote...each/pictures/

http://www.r24.org/patong-beach-hote...et/karonbeach/
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Nice one James!
That will keep me busy for a bit.
I'll pick a few options and let you know. You might give me your opinion.

Thanks again for all your efforts.
Oisin