KimJapan - help!

Old Mar 19th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KimJapan - help!

I am packing for my Japan trip (leave in 6 days). I am bringing my laptop (Mac user here) and my battery charger for my camera. I am trying to find out if I need any plug in adapters or will what I am bringing over from the US work with out adapters? I am reading that the voltage is the same and the plug-ins are "similiar". I don't know if similiar means I need an adapter or not.

Also - is 80211.b the standard for wireless in Japan? I am hoping I can either find wireless or use an ethernet connection at the Hilton.

Thank you for all your assistance!

Theresa
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 04:35 PM

the hotel will probably supply you with the plug adapter if you do not have the correct one....why not call the hotel or e mail them and ask specifically....also try their 800 number and ask
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 04:52 PM

I'm a Mac user too.

Japanese outlets are similar to US and the voltage is different...110/60 or 110/50, depending on where you are. The power doesn't make any difference with appliances that have built in voltage adapters, like laptops. Look on the machine itself and on the cord/plug and you should be able to see the range of voltage it can use. Some things, like coffee makers and hair dryers, that we brought with us when we moved here, worked, but worked slowly (1/2 hour for a pot of coffee, 1/2 hour to dry my hair)...we replaced these items quickly with local ones and they were, of course, fine.

The outlet shape is the same, but some older outlets cannot accommodate the difference in the prong size of US appliances that have one prong slightly larger than the other...most Japanese appliances have each prong the exact same size. While you "probably" won't need an adapter, if you do, they aren't hard to find...any electric store sells international adapter sets, as does the airport. But, the Hitlons get plenty of international guests with computers who don't have any trouble, so I'd guess their outlets are able to accommodate US plugs.

Battery charger...be sure it is multi-voltage, as I've heard using too low of a voltage for recharging causes damage.

Wireless...I'm clueless. Ethernet connection is available in the Hilton for a fee, though.

Old Mar 19th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for such a quick response!

Camera looks ok, battery charger looks good, laptop ok - only problem is curling iron and I can deal with that.

I did email Hilton to find out about adapters as some of my plug ins are larger on the one side.

Kim - I read on another response that you were a Mac user

So - how do the cherry trees looking? I read somewhere that they may be early this year (which would be wonderful)!

Thanks for all your help!
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 06:21 PM

Well...we landed in Osaka on Monday (3/13) and it was FREEZING, there was even snow. On the train on Tuesday, between Kyoto and Kanazawa was deep snow and still snowing. It's been colder than usual for the week we've been back in Kanazawa. Not a hint of cherry blossoms yet in Kanazawa...but for the past few years they've been gorgeous between 6 - 8 April. The weather will have a lot to do with it, as once they bloom, a good spring windy rainstorm and they are gone. If it stays clear and windless, they can last a good while.
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! I have a friend who landed about the same time you did and she said it was freezing also. She gets home about the same time that I leave. I have a couple of emails into her to find out about food on the United flight but haven't heard back.

I am in Nebraska and we are getting 20" of snow as we speak. The college I work for has cancelled school for tomorrow and possibly for Tuesay also. It is just ugly!

Hopefully it will be warmer when I arrive. Predictions look like low 50's.

Thanks again!
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

The hotel emailed me back and said to just ask housekeeping and they will have adapters.